Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there hope of better nights?

Default Is there hope of better nights?

DS is 10wks old feeds every hour during the day and every 2 hrs at night mostly, occasionally he will sleep only an hour between feedings. I have been chronically sleep deprived since he was born. Also for the last several days with my maternity leave nearing an end, he decides he wants to wake up at 4am and 6am. He has never slept 4-5hrs a stretch . I'm set to go back to work this week. Is there hope? Anyone with experience of having a baby with bad sleep pattern suddenly changing to a more tolerable one? Or is the window of desirable sleep behavior gone?

Default Re: Is there hope of better nights?

Is this a constant pattern or a growth spurt?

This is what everyone warned you about, right? The sleepless nights, though he**, are completely normal. Maybe he will start sleeping, maybe not. No one can tell you so or not. Of course, some babies start sleeping through at 3 months, but I would say it is the exception, not the rule like all the baby books make you think. You could try increasing the amount you are feeding during the day, and see if that helps. Or have your signifigant other wake and give a bottle a couple of those times in the night. Do you nap with your baby? That can help and is the best advice during this newborn phase. Good luck.

DS has had this pattern of eating and sleeping since the second week. Now, he actually naps well. I don't mind the hourly feeding schedule during the day. The nights though will be tough if this continues. It will be difficult to function once I start back at work. He's thriving so I should be thankful for that.

I thought my lo was never going to let me have some sleep. He was waking every 2hrs to nurse also but we were co sleeping.
    He is now 4mos & I started putting him in his crib & he is sleeping from 10pm till 5am.

My lo's sleep pattern changes pretty much constantly. I guess that's not so much a pattern as sheer chaos-lol! I sleep much better now that she is in bed with me. I had to do that when I went back to work cause she wanted to nurse all the time (at first) to make up for me not being there all day.

I've recently been wanting to move her back to her bed, though. I'd be interested in hearing from October Mommy how you got her moved.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous