Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help please.... 7wk baby prefers bottle over breast

Default Help please.... 7wk baby prefers bottle over breast

My 7 wk old daughter was introduced to the bottle 2 wks. ago for night feedings only. About 3 days ago I had the flu,expressed milk, and left my husband feed her thru the bottle. Now she latches but gets frustrated after a minute or two of nursing. Her latch was perfect and she was an avid nurser. I've been working with the LLL, but she isn't in for 3 more days. What do I do in the meantime?

Default Re: Help please.... 7wk baby prefers bottle over breast

I would try breast compressions to keep the milk flowing. When the bb starts to suck, gentley squeeze the breast, When the sucking stops you stop (or bb will choke on you )
    here is a good tip on how to bottle feed a breast fed baby, although I realize this IS NOT your goal!: http://www.bfar.org/bottlefeeding.pdf Thats all I can think of right now, sort of brain dead, sorry.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 27th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.

Default Re: Help please.... 7wk baby prefers bottle over breast

Run a warm bath and take your DD in with you. The skin-to-skin contact stimulates the baby's natural rooting tendencies. Works like a charm. You may have to do it several times. But, skin-to-skin is a great way to get the baby to root naturally. It may also help to pump just a bit so that when your LO begins nursing, she gets milk immediately as opposed to having to wait for it.

Hope the helps!!