Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baths

Default Baths

My daughter is 3 weeks old, and her belly button finally came off last week. She really enjoys baths now that she can be in the warm water. I am wondering how often I can/should bathe her. She gets fussy between 5 and 9 pm and I would love to be able to give her a bath during that time eachd ay to calm her down, but I don't want to irritate or dry out her skin. Is every day too often? Every other day? Thanks for the advice!

Default Re: Baths

I gave my son a "washcloth" bath everyday, but I would only use soap every couple of days. I think the soap is what might bother her skin, but there isn't any reason you can't give her a bath with just water during her fussy time. I remember looking forward to bath time to I could actually do something with my son (other than feed him, of course.)

I used bath to interupt DS's evening colic. We did it every other day. No soap. We looked forward to those days we could give him a bath. It was fantastic. He would be wailing and then for the 15-20 minutes of bath time, he would be quiet and very comtemplative. I suppose you could try everyday bath and see how it goes. If she starts to get dry skin, then you might want to decrease it to every other day.

Ditto the NO SOAP!

Thanks everyone, i will try every other day with no soap...

I only bathe my baby once or twice a week. Anymore than that and he gets ashy.

Way too lazy for formula

Our LO gets a bath every night with soap and so far no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I only bathe my baby once or twice a week.
    Same here - except instead of ashy my DS gets dry patches.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I try to do a bath at least once a week only because it's winter, she's not that dirty and I don't want to dry her skin. However, I too, do a sponge bath on her face and butt often to keep those area's clean. I may wash her hair separately, too, to keep it less oily. In a few weeks as I start to try and get a routine down for me to go back to work, I may make a bath part of the bed-time ritual. My SIL gives my nephew a bath every night because that's his routine to go to bed. It seems to be working and I'll want to do that in the summer anyway.

I'm just a bit awkward giving a bath so that's part of why I don't do it that often.

I try to bathe her every other day. So far that has worked for us. On days that she doesn't get a bath, I clean her with a quick spongebath (no soap).