Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decrease in Milk Supply!!!!! No Reason??

Unhappy Decrease in Milk Supply!!!!! No Reason??

hi-
    from what i can understand i am in some form of post partum depression, i havent been able to see anyone yet as this epiphany just occurred today, however, i have noticed a decrease in milk supply and wonder how i can fix this...

im not too clear on the meaning of post partum but , i dont resent my children at all, in any way, and thats all i understand it to be, but i do know that im depressed...

whats goig on here...help!

Default Re: Decrease in Milk Supply!!!!! No Reason??

Hi there. I noticed a decrease in my supply one day when I was very stressed and tired. I tried to relax, and not dwell too much on the fact that I had little milk - pumping only 1oz was getting me stressed, and worrying about it, was even lessening my supply!
    How did you gauge that you had no milk? The amount you pump is a very unreliable way, as I've read.
    As for the depression, talking about it really helps. That happened early on after I gave birth, when I was very cranky with my DD, while taking care of the baby. Like you, it just dawned on me that I may be depressed - or simply MEGA STRESSED - so I tried talking to friends, exercising more (oh yeah, sounds like a major chore at first, but actually feels good when you're doing it), or simply spending a quiet moment with myself.
    Hope this helps. Take care!

How old is your lo? During growth spurts they eat a lot more and it can be very draining for mom. Noticing changes in supply doesn't always mean something is wrong.

How old is your LO? What is causing your concern about your supply? It is very common for mothers to think that their supply has gone, when in actuality nothing is wrong. What happens is, in the early weeks milk production is triggered primarily by hormones. Most women make much more than their babies actually need. You feel very full, and can notice a marked difference between the feel of your breasts before and after a feeding (full and harder before, soft and smaller after). However, as time goes on your body starts to regulate the production of milk according to what the baby takes, and that full feeling goes away. This does not mean that your milk supply has dropped, your body has just evened things out. I have read that this commonly occurs around three months, but can be earlier or later. Also, as the PP stated, babies often go through growth spurts during which time they will want to nurse more frequently and your breasts may feel always empty. Baby may also be fussier during this time. Have you noticed any change in the number of wet diapers? Pumping output is a poor indication of supply, as stress and difficulty relaxing can really interfere with letdown during pumping. A baby is usually much more efficient at removing milk from a breast than a pump.

As for the depression, I believe that PPD can occur anytime within a year following birth, or even later upon weaning. I agree that it is good to talk to someone about it.

to you illuminata730 and all of the mammas out there dealing with PPD. I did not know that I was depressed for a couple of months until I one day said to my DH "take him (DS) away from me or I am going to throw him!". I had reached my limmit for what I could handle at the time, I am thankful that I had DH here with me when that happened. I am also thankful for this site for all of the support and love that poors over to all that are going through a difficult time. First things first, "if mom is cared for then baby can be cared for". Is there anyone around that can give you a hand, be it for you to shower, eat etc...vital things we forget to do for ourselves when we are getting used to caring for someone else. I know for me the 10 minutes in the shower can really make a difference. Also, contact your MD regarding how you are feeling, even if you do not feel you will harm your children, your saftey and well being is important.

The taking on of such an increadible, taxing, non stop job is very overwhelming, having a network of support has been instrumental for me: DH, family, meetings and this site.

I did want to pass this on to you. This is from the LLL "common breastfeeding myths":

"Myth 11: Poor milk supply is usually caused by stress, fatigue and/or inadequate fluids and food intake.

Fact: The most common causes of milk supply problems are infrequent feedings and/or poor latch-on and positioning; both are usually due to inadequate information provided to the breastfeeding mother. Suckling problems on the infant's part can also impact milk supply negatively. Stress, fatigue or malnutrition are rarely causes of milk supply failure because the body has highly developed survival mechanisms to protect the nursling during times of scarce food supply."

As far as getting your supply up this is from LLL "How can I increase my supply":
    "Here are some ideas that may help you to increase your milk supply. Look them over and consider which might work for you.

Contact a local La Leche League Leader for information and support.
    Encourage your baby to breastfeed frequently and for as long as he will.
    Offer both breasts at each feeding. Allow baby to stay at the first breast as long as he is actively sucking and swallowing. Offer the second breast when baby slows down or stops. "Finish the first breast first," is a good general rule. (This technique gives baby lots of the fatty "hindmilk.")
    Baby should end the feeding. He may do this by falling asleep and detaching from the breast after about 10 to 30 minutes of active sucking and swallowing.
    Be sure baby is latched on and positioned correctly at the breast, that is, lips should be on the areola (the darker skin area), well behind the nipple. An LLL Leader can help fine-tune positioning as well as suggest ideas to ease soreness. Breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt.
    A sleepy baby may benefit from "switch nursing" that is, switching breasts two or three times during each feeding. Switch breasts when baby's sucking slows down and he swallows less often.
    All of baby's sucking should be at the breast. Limit or stop pacifier use while encouraging baby to nurse more effectively. If you are supplementing, even temporarily, you can give the supplement by spoon, cup, or with a nursing supplementer. Contact an LLL Leader for assistance in using these.
    This may be a stressful time. Take care of yourself. Pay attention to your own need for rest, relaxation, proper diet and enough fluids."

things do get better
    Last edited by surfinrn&mom2mason; February 26th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.