Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby back to breast- help!

Default Baby back to breast- help!

My son is 8 weeks old and we have had a series of issues from the beginning starting with a week in the ICU, my flat nipples, a posterior tongue tie, then thrush. All these things are behind us now, but he is still finger feeding, has been now for about 6 weeks (we had about a week on the breast with a nipple shield after the ICU but he wasn't gaining and was crying from hunger all the time even though I was nursing every hour)

Has anyone out there transitioned back to the breast at this age or later? I am so sad and want him at the breast so much, and I need encouragement to know this happens for babies and moms at ages later than this.

He is doing almost everything but latch, he finger feeds calmly right at the breast, will lick the nipple and mouth it, but cries or struggles when he tries to latch.

Default Re: Baby back to breast- help!

Oh kudos to you for still breastfeeding and finger feeding instead of formula! Both my kids were in the NICU and I know how hard it is to EBF in there...especially where there are latch issues and such!

It sounds a bit like nipple confusion, and if he still has the toungue tie that is probably playing a part too. Have you met with an LC yet? We have a wonderful breastfeeding support group M-F where I live in the hospital I gave birth at. You could ask around to find out if there is something like that around you, or make an appointment with a LC, your insurance should pay for it if you get a prescription from your pediatrician.

I wish you the best of luck! Your baby will eventually get it, you just have to keep trying! I have seen it happen!

Sarah

Default Re: Baby back to breast- help!

[QUOTE=eldonsmom]Has anyone out there transitioned back to the breast at this age or later? I am so sad and want him at the breast so much, and I need encouragement to know this happens for babies and moms at ages later than this.[QUOTE]

Here is one of my favorite links to encourage moms who are struggling like you have been:

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...e/babyget.html

Although you and your son had an unfortunately difficult beginning, it sounds as if you have had excellent lactation support and are doing everything you can to get him back to the breast. The only missing ingredient now is more time.

What I always seem to hear in similar stories is that when the baby finally latches well, it just happens out of the blue, with no particular signals beforehand that he was starting to come around. The baby just finally "gets it," and the ordeal is suddenly over. Yes, it can and does happen at ages well beyond 8 weeks -- so hang in there. Do let us know how you're doing or if there's any way we can support or encourage you.

--Rebecca