Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One breast producing LOTS more than the other

Default One breast producing LOTS more than the other

Hello all! I feel silly asking this question... but my left breast is such a poor producer compared to my right (4 oz vs 2 oz. if I'm lucky when pumping). Is there any way to encourage more production? I've been trying to feed my ds both breasts evenly, and if I only use one (the right one) I pump the left. Has anyeone else encountered this? Just curious. Thanks!

BTW...many kind thanks to everyone who has helped with my previous posts! Happy to report that things are going well!

Default Re: One breast producing LOTS more than the other

I had a very noticiable difference when bfing my first son...my right was much better than my left. I still have the issue with DS#2, but not as noticable. The plumbing is much different and I heard that it is pretty normal. Wish I had some answer on what to do! I just try to make sure the one that produces less gets fed on first and really gets emptied.

Sarah

Yes, and it's been that way since the beginning. It's because my daughter nurses better on my left side and it's her favorite. I've also noticed (when I pumped--I hate pumping but did it some) that it comes out better than my right for some reason (nipple seems a different spray) so it's probably one reason why she likes it better. I start her on the "bad" side every nursing session and she only stays on there for 1-2 minutes and then cries for the other side. And it's worked for us, she gets all she needs. I do not pump to keep things "even". I just let my body produce what it needs to for her and let her nurse on her favorite side more. It works for us just fine.

Tracy

My right is bigger than my left too. He ate better from it and it produced more milk. A couple of weeks ago, I just began favoring the left. Instead of starting R, L , R I would start L, L, R. Or if I forgot which side I was on, I started L. Now I think it's evened out a bit. The right one isn't noticably bigger, just a little. Also, it doesn't get as uncomfortably full anymore either. Plus, the left one is fuller and I think producing more. HTH

You're definately not alone here! My DD is now 8 months old and I've had the same problem. I felt a little lopsided at first because it was a lot more noticeable when my milk let down. I still only get about 1-2 ounces from the left and about 4 ounces from the right. It's been that way for quite a while. I've tried pumping the left even in between feedings and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I've heard that it's quite normal for one breast to produce more than the other. So, I've just come to reality that it's not going to change and I'll just keep on pumping and feeding her regularly. However, I do try to start her on the left side (the weak one) and she too begins to cry for the other side after a few minutes. The spray IS different too, it seems slower. The funny thing is, she even favors the left side. That's the side she likes to use me as her human pacifier!

Good luck sweetie!

I'm the same way...my right makes more than my left. It also sprays out better from the right side when I pump. When it's time to go to sleep, I nurse her from the left side...and when she is really hungry I start out with the right. Otherwise, I always give her the left first then the right to try and balance it out. I've been getting an extra halve ounce from my left since I've been doing this. Not much of a difference, but it just makes me feel better. I was always afraid I was going to dry up on that side since I was only able to get out one once every few hours. HTH!

I have the same problem! Only it is my right that is the slacker!! My son often refuses to even take it! I have increased the supply though. (Was getting 4 to 5 from the left and 1 1/2 to 2 from the right; now getting 2-3 from the right!) I pump that side longer (15 min verses 10 on the other side). At first it looks like you are doing anything but making yourself sore but you are! I also make sure I pump it every 2 1/2 to 3 hours regardless of what he has eaten from the other side. If he does eat from it I pump it for 5 minutes in addition. In a week I had increased the supply. My lactation consultant at the hospital is the one who told me this trick. Hope it works for you!!

My left side is the strong one. I have started feeding on slow side and pumping the other. The Left (strong) seems not only to have more but also OALD, so dd gets upset because she drowns! Sheould I try something else?

Weird, sounds like most of us have lots of milk in the right and not as much in the left (me included!). I wonder why that is? Is it a handedness thing? I'm right handed, but to me that doesn't make sense because I would prefer to have my RIGHT hand free (feeding on the left). I dunno. It is very weird. They are still the same size, I hope they don't get all lopsided!

Thanks everyone, for the tips and kind words! So good to know we're all sharing so many of the same things...