Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 19 month old, changing her routine?

Default 19 month old, changing her routine?

I'm sure that this is completly normal, but I need a little help getting throught it. (and a small vent)

A little history.....

Emma had stoped nursing herself to sleep 3 months ago, and started her night off in her bed. Around 4 am she and her sister would come into bed with DH and I.

She was down for one nap a day and now she is taking two.

Now, she wants to nurse all the time during the day, and would probabaly stay at the breast all night if I would let her.

Our days are all mapped out for her routine and it didn't interfer with Abby's routine at all. But now she has thrown in a switcharoo, I'm not sure what to do.

The past week she seems a little more clingy and cranky than ususal. And I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it at all, but her poop schedule and constincy (sp?) has changed as well. (from one a day to three a day)

I'm not sure what is going on, she's a completly different child these days.

Thanks for listening.

Default Re: 19 month old, changing her routine?

Hi LeakyLeague,
    Did the change in poop start before or after she started nursing more? My 18 month old DS will go through times when he wants to nurse all the time & then he will end up having softer/runnier poop & will go more frequently, which I'm assuming is because of nursing more & not eatting as much solids. He seemed more clingy & cranky as well. It usually only lasts a few days to a week. He usually sleeps through the night & during these times he would awake 1-2 times to nurse at night. Also, he seemed more tired during the day, probably from being up at night to nurse. Not sure what goes on with him, but it usually passes in a short time. I don't know if this is normal either.
    Claire

I'm sure it's normal. You may not be able to figure out the reason for her increased nursing and heightened need to be close to you, but try to trust that she does in fact have a valid reason, and just go with the flow as much as you are able. She will probably work through it, whatever "it" is, and soon be back to her usual patterns.

The poop changes may well be a return to the "breastfed" poops of her babyhood, if she has been nursing lots and eating little else. On the other hand, maybe she is fighting off a stomach bug and that is what is driving the extra nursing and the heightened need to be close to momma.

Try to hang in there -- it's all good. I'm sure it makes life harder for your 4yo, but think of the mothering skills she is absorbing just by watching you care for her sister! She will pick up on whatever emotional cues you are sending, so help her develop her empathy by expressing your own empathy for your toddler's needs, and praise your older daughter for any compassion and maturity she can demonstrate right now. Then when this phase has passed, you can make it up to your 4yo with a special outing or something like that.

--Rebecca

Thank you ladies for talking me through this. I'm sure that this is normal but poor Abby is suffering from it, but she too is handling it like a trooper.

Hi there,

Well, it very well could be a growth spurt and she may just need some extra mommy time and time at the breast and will likely either go back to her old habits or form new ones (lol).

Some mothers find it helpful to avert attention from nursing at inopportune times by getting out of the house, redirecting with play, extra snuggling.

I remember seeing a lot of great info on this particular subject in "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler", which is likely in the local Group library.

Ok, I'm starting to think she is regressing. (Just joking) But really, she is NOT sleeping at night and sleeping most of the day. What is up?

Does anybody know about what age night frights start? She wakes up during the night screaming (like I'm scared) Momma!

Quote Originally Posted by LeakyLeague
    Ok, I'm starting to think she is regressing. (Just joking) But really, she is NOT sleeping at night and sleeping most of the day. What is up?
    Have you considered cutting back on her daytime naps?

About the night terrors, here is a good article on AskDrSears.com about night terrors http://askdrsears.com/html/7/t071300.asp (not a LLL resource)

DD had them, and we didn't realize what they were until I saw that Dr. Sears page about them and realized she had almost all of the signs, but they started a lot later than some and went on from approx age 5 or 6 to 9. Occasionally, she will still get up and be unaware that she is up, but it's no longer accompanied with crying/screaming.

Thanks Erin, I'll check out the site.

She was only taking one nap a day until Friday. Thursday night she was up until 12am crying and unconsolable. Friday night was the same way!?!? Saturday and Sunday were a little bit better, but she still woke up at 2a and 4a. She wakes up crying, it's almost like she is not awake but her eyes are open. She refuses the breast when I offer it to her, to calm her down.

With all of this going on during the night she is exhausted during the day.