Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixing milk

Post Mixing milk

I am sure this question has been asked somewhere, but I don't have alot of time to go back and look-ds is on an eating binge (must be his 3 mo growth spurt).
    I go back to work on Monday and most of my milk is frozen in 2 oz bags. Can I mix 2 different days worth of milk to get a 4-6oz bottle for my ds?

Default Re: Mixing milk

Yep!

I believe the only type of mixing you can't do is just pumped BM with chilled BM, but you can mix as long as they're at the same temp!

Why can't chilled BM and fresh BM be combined? I do this all the time when I pump at work. I pump twice at work, keeping the morning stash in the refrigerator and using it again for my second pumping session in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nwfdrool
    Why can't chilled BM and fresh BM be combined? I do this all the time when I pump at work. I pump twice at work, keeping the morning stash in the refrigerator and using it again for my second pumping session in the afternoon.
    I wondered about this too as I use the 4 bottles and coller pack that came with my PISA. Pumping 3x/day, I have to add new milk to that already pumped, although it hasn't been refridgerated, just the coller pack.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I looked in some books and all I can find is that you can mix fresh EBM and frozen milk if there is less fresh milk than frozen and you chill it for 30 min, then mix it with to prevent the top layer of frozen milk from defrosting. Just follow the storage guidelines for the older milk. I didn't find anything on mixing fresh with chilled milk, but I guess the same rules apply, you don't want to be playing with the temperatures. Hope this help.

I think part of the reason behind not mixing chilled milk with fresh (warm) milk is that when you put the warm milk in it raises the temperature of the chilled milk rather than keeping it at a constant cool temperature so it could make it not keep as well... not 100% sure on this though... I've always read that if the amount of fresh milk you are adding is less than the amount of chilled milk, then it's okay to mix.