Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The relentless FUSSY topic

Default The relentless FUSSY topic

Hey There,

Ok, so I know that there are many posts on here relating to "fussiness at the breast," and I see that a lot of this is caused by OALD and seems to be accompanied often by "choking" and "sputtering."

My 11 week old is not so much "fussy" at the breast, and does not choke but she seems to be, as I like to call it, "lollygagging" or "dawdling." She sucks for a few minutes, pulls off, moves her head back and forth, latches back on, sucks, pulls off, moves her head back and forth, latches back on, and so on and so on and so on. I was thinking maybe she is just taking a break or something during feeding? I don't know . . . . is it possible for a small baby to have the rational capacity to take herself off to "rest" for a second? If I end the session due to repeated on/off motions (it annoys me) she cries and is happy when I put her back on. I'm still trying to figure out if she is comfort nurser or not . . . . Maybe she wants to stay on the breast to suck, but doesn't necessarily feel like dealing with the milk once she's full?

I'm confused. . . .

Default Re: The relentless FUSSY topic

Hmm... Different babies can have different "styles" of nursing. There's a page in Dr. Sears's _The Baby Book_ in which he describes the many different types of nurslings that he has watched with his wife (they have a huge family) ... the chomper, the nipper-napper, the down-to-business, etc.

Your baby's temperament may simply be to approach things in a relaxed and leisurely way. It's not necessarily a rational thought process. If she is thriving in other ways -- diaper output, growth, sleeping well, etc. -- then I wouldn't view this as a problem that you need to fix. She is apparently doing a good job of communicating to you when she wants to nurse and when she is done, despite the on-and-off behavior.

I can certainly understand how this behavior makes feedings annoying and drawn-out. Hopefully she will soon mature into a more efficient nurser.

--Rebecca

Thanks for the encouragement, but I think it has simply come down to a supply issue . . . .

For weeks she had done the on/off thing, but with crying. For the past week or so, she stopped crying during the nursing session, so I assumed that my problems were just temperment.

TOday she started the crying bit in between the on/off thing, and I think it is a supply issue.

I had spoken with a LLL Consultant a while back regarding this and she told me to increase my supply make sure I was eating 3000 calories a day and drinking like 100 oz of water daily. In addition, she recommended pumping in between nursing. I have done all of those things, and still, no improvement. The consultant said that I am definitely not making enough milk because: A.) I have NEVER experienced a leak. Not even a drop. B.)My milk has NEVER sprayed when baby becomes detached, and C.) I have NEVER felt let down. So I put all these things she suggested into play and I trucked on for the past few weeks, trying so hard.

This morning I gave Gianna a bottle of breastmilk (which takes me like 4 pumping sessions, just to get a measly 4 oz.) and she was just like a completely different baby. She sat so contently drinking her milk . . . . arms at her chest, dreamy looking, sitting still staring into my eyes, HAPPY and CONTENT. She wasn't the twisting, turning, grunting, frustrated mess she is at my breast during EVERY nursing session for the past month.

My Dr. said her weight is OK (25% percentile) but I just don't feel like she is getting what she so obviously needs from my breast.

I DO NOT want to quit b/f as it really saddens me . . . . . I was so much enjoying it, but I feel like at this point I am just being selfish cause my baby obviously does not enjoy it at all.

Feedback welcomed . . . .
    Lisa

I should also mention that I am on a medication which has been proven in studies to reduce milk production. Unfortunately, I think there is just no way to fix that . . . . . . . and I CANNOT go without the meds as that would be endangering my health.

So I guess I'm not really looking for advice, so much as I wanted to vent to someone about how broken up I am that breastfeeding is not working for me and Gianna.

Lisa

Hi!

I'm no expert, but those "clues" that you're not producing enough milk sound bogus to me. Is the LC you talked to board certified? Have you thought about getting another opinion? I've never really felt "let down," and I haven't leaked once this time around (although I did leak every once in a while with ds1). I nourished ds1 exclusively on bm for 9 months, and even maintained a milk supply through a pregnancy.

If your baby's gaining weight well, then you are producing enough milk. How much you pump is no indication of how much you are producing. There are many women who can't pump but still manage to exclusively breastfeed.

Yes, the bottle is probably easier for her and doesn't require as much effort. Maybe you can get help from another LC or a LLL leader about ways to help your dd's latch so she can become a bit more efficient to make bf easier for both of you?

Also, if you do decide you need to supplement, remember that bf is not an all or nothing proposition. You can still bf part-time.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee
    Hi!

I'm no expert, but those "clues" that you're not producing enough milk sound bogus to me. Is the LC you talked to board certified? Have you thought about getting another opinion? I've never really felt "let down," and I haven't leaked once this time around (although I did leak every once in a while with ds1). I nourished ds1 exclusively on bm for 9 months, and even maintained a milk supply through a pregnancy.

If your baby's gaining weight well, then you are producing enough milk. How much you pump is no indication of how much you are producing. There are many women who can't pump but still manage to exclusively breastfeed.

leecee ((((hugs))))

ITA with the above statement. The information you received was incorrect, and I'm sorry someone told you this.

Many mothers never feel a letdown. It doesn't mean that they don't have milk or don't have enough milk. It's just one of those variations of normal.

Many mothers never leak (on a personal note, I never did and had plenty of milk as my ds gained over 2 lbs in his first month of life).

You will only spray if your baby happens to come unlatched during a letdown. And spraying doesn't account for much anyway, unless you're "lucky" (said tongue in cheek) enough to have forceful letdown.

It really sounds like you received some rotten advice, right down to the number of calories and amount of water you were told to take in. I'm SO sorry that happened to you!

Can you tell me a little more about your experience? How old is your baby now? How has the weight gain been? How has your baby's output (diapers) been? Can you tell me the name of the medication you're taking that has you concerned about supply? Are you still pumping?
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; March 29th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leecee
    My 11 week old is not so much "fussy" at the breast, and does not choke but she seems to be, as I like to call it, "lollygagging" or "dawdling." She sucks for a few minutes, pulls off, moves her head back and forth, latches back on, sucks, pulls off, moves her head back and forth, latches back on, and so on and so on and so on. I was thinking maybe she is just taking a break or something during feeding? I don't know . . . . is it possible for a small baby to have the rational capacity to take herself off to "rest" for a second? If I end the session due to repeated on/off motions (it annoys me) she cries and is happy when I put her back on. I'm still trying to figure out if she is comfort nurser or not . . . . Maybe she wants to stay on the breast to suck, but doesn't necessarily feel like dealing with the milk once she's full?
    Has your baby's suck been evaluated by an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant)? From your description, this behavior could be caused from something as simple as a stuffy nose to something more complex. Can you tell me, has she always nursed this way? If not, when did the behavior begin?