Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - low weight gain

Default Help - low weight gain

Hi - This is my first time to post to this site - I only found it yesterday and wish I had found it a long time ago.
    I need help - I am a mess. My daughter is 3 1/2 months (15 weeks) and is not gaining weight. She was 6lbs. 6oz when born and is now 10 lbs. 8 oz. She did really well the first 6 weeks and since then we have had major issues. She has only gained 7 oz in the last 5 weeks.
    Just after Christmas her weight gain slowed right down. We have had some weeks where she has gained 2-3 oz and others where she has gained nothing at all. The problem is she never seems hungry. She has been sleeping through the night since 3 weeks of age - though since Christmas I have been waking her up once to get an extra feed into her. She is the most content and happy baby (which is nice) but she never shows hunger cues more than an occasional tongue sticking out! Does anyone else out there have a baby who never seems hungry and very rarely wants to eat???
    I have been to see a LC a number of times and am at my doctor's each week for a weight check. The LC helped me tweak my latch to see if that would improve things. About 3 weeks into seeing the LC I decided that I thought my volume of milk was going down and so I started to pump which didn't make much of a difference and is extremely difficult when you have an active and demanding 3 1/2 year old!
    After not much luck with the pumping I started on Domperidone (2 x 10mg - 3 times a day) and thought it was my miracle cure. I started to feel full, have a strong letdown and leak for the first time since my daughter was born. However, 6 days after starting the medication, the symptons dissapeared. I upped my dose to 3 x10mg - 3 times a day but no luck it doesn't seem to have changed anything.
    My daughter is currently only eating between 500 - 620 ml a day which I think is somewhere around 15-20 oz. I think this is way to little for a baby her age and am not sure what to do now. I have started to reintroduce the pump in addition to the medication over the last few days to see if that would help but I don't know what else to do. Everyone's solution seems to be to supplement until she is gaining better but she won't take a bottle.
    Help! I am a mess, everytime I think about the whole situation I start to cry which is now affecting my son (who I breastfed for 14 months with no problems). I don't know what else to do - it is hard not to feel like a failure. If anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate because it is starting to take over my life!
    Thanks.

Default Re: Help - low weight gain

you are doing a GREAT job. i don't have much advice as my lo is always hungry, maybe offer to feed ger more often evin if she isnt showing cues?
    i'm sorry you're going through this, but this is a great place for support and hopefully some othet moms will have ideas for you.
    you can do this! hang in there
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Thanks for your support - I feel a lot better already based on some of the replies I have read on the other boards.
    It is nice to know that I am not on my own!

Quote Originally Posted by wrmom View Post
    My daughter is currently only eating between 500 - 620 ml a day which I think is somewhere around 15-20 oz. I think this is way to little for a baby her age and am not sure what to do now. I have started to reintroduce the pump in addition to the medication over the last few days to see if that would help but I don't know what else to do.
    Thanks.
    Hi, do you have a scale and is this how you have determined how much your baby is eating?
    How many wet diapers are you seeing in a 24 hour period? 5-6 wet sposies or 6-8 wet cloth diapers means you are getting enough fluid into her. I'm no expert in ounce counting but I would think around 24 oz would be a good goal, your not far from it. The best way to boost your supply is to remove more milk from the breast. Pumping after each feeding for ten minutes or so will help send the signal to the breast to make more. Skin to skin contact will encourage your bb to nurse more often, do you have a sling? Is there a way you could drop off your other child at granny's house or something so you could spend a whole day in bed nursing your baby? Remember the first rule is feed the baby!
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 26th, 2007 at 03:09 AM.

I definitely understand what you're going through. My son is 10 weeks and he just weighed in at 8 lbs 14 oz...(he was 7lbs 6 oz at birth) I just ordered Donperidone and am hoping it will work, but I'm glad I saw your post so i won't get my hopes up if it works at first. I've been supplementing for Josh (something I NEVER wanted to do) since he was about 5 weeks old, and he takes a bottle well. Recently, he started resisting my breast a lot and it took a lot to get him to latch on. I think he likes the bottle better because it's so much easier to eat from. I tried reducing the number of bottles he was getting, but then his weight gain slowed again. I ended up buying a supplemental nurser. It's a really cool device that has a little tube you tape to your breast. The baby can get the formula (or pumped breastmilk, if you can pump anything...I can't ) while nursing. This helps the baby get what he needs, and also provides extra stimulation that can help produce more milk. I just got mine and have only used it once, but I really liked it. Good luck and know you're not alone!