Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Amount of breast milk per feeding

Default Amount of breast milk per feeding

I have a 2 week old and are trying to prepare to go back to work. He eats 3.5oz. at every feeding. I have been pumping and nursing in between. I think my milk supply is low and was wondering if anyone new what is average for a pumping mother. I pump 2-3 times a day and only can collect about 6 oz at a time, which is just enough to keep up with his feedings, not nearly enough to get any stored for when he goes to day care. I am looking into purchasing a better pump (medela advanced), but first would like to know if it will help increase what I am producing now. I guess really, is is going to be worth spending the 300+ dollars, or just continuing with what I have now.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Default Re: Amount of breast milk per feeding

I had initially thought of exclusively pumping. Why are feeding your baby what you pump. Why don't you pump and store that and then breastfeed the baby? You may have to cut back on some of the pumping at first, and then work up to more per day. Supply meets demand. 6 ounces at a time is GREAT. I was told if I was going to exclusively pump, that I needed to rent a hospital grade pump. You might check into that.

You pump 6 oz in addition to breastfeeding? That is a lot of milk!

Are you pumping and feeding at the breast? When do you have to return to work? How long will you be separated from your baby while at work (include travel time)?

It takes me all day to get 6 oz...4-5 pumpings!! You are producing quite a bit!

I have been pumping and nursing. I pump so that I can feed a bottle at night, he seems to sleep better the first part of the night that way. If I nurse and then pump, I can pump around 3 ounces. So I can store a little, but it isn't going to be enough when I return back to work.

Unfortunatly, I will be returning to work in about 3 weeks and will be separted for about 9 hours. I feel more guilty about having to return to work than I do about thinking about supplementing with formula.

I did purchase a Medela PIS pump this past week, so I am hoping that this pump will work better than the little electric one I was using. I do know that it is MUCH more comfortable. I can actually relax while pumping.

If someone does decide to supplement with formula, how do you know which one to try first? Also, I hear some of you talking about that herbal pill you get from GNC to increase breast milk, is this something that I could try as well, even though you say I already have a good milk supply?

This site has been so helpful, nice to know I am not the only one with simular concerns.

Thanks

remember that when you're back at work you'll be pumping instead of breastfeeding while you're there, not in addition to it. 6oz is great this early on. my son is 5 1/2 months and takes 6oz at a feeding, so i pump 6oz times three when i'm at work. so if yours is only a few weeks old, don't worry about the volume, you're doing great. when he starts daycare you'll learn how much of a bottle he'll take, and you can arrange your pumping accordingly. i think my son was taking 2-4oz for the first few months from a bottle when we'd do it occasionally, and when i went back to work at 4 months he was taking 4-6, and now it's 6oz. every 3 hours or so, 3 feedings between 8am and 4:30pm. remember that as long as he's still gaining weight he's doing fine. and if you want to get some extra to store, pump immediately after the first AM feeding, when you have the most excess milk, and put it in the freezer. you'll still have enough milk for the baby when you feed him a few hours later. this is what i did for the first few months and i've got a gazillion feedings in the freezer just in case! By the way, i use the medela pump in style, which is great. mine is from my sister-in-law, but you can find them on craigslist for about $100 and then just buy new attachments.