Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good idea to supplement w. formula after 3mo?

Default Good idea to supplement w. formula after 3mo?

I have read that it is a good idea to supplement with formula after 3 months for nutritional reasons. This seems like it would reduce my milk supply but I don't want to deprive my child of proper nutrients. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Good idea to supplement w. formula after 3mo?

nope bad advice!
    your milk has everything in it that your baby needs! well past their 1st birthday.
    there was a good article in the last new beginings about what is in breastmilk.
    human milk is designed for babies, it has anti-infective proberties,and it contains Eseental fatty acids.
    Human milk is 1.1% protien 4.5% fat and 6.8% carbohydrate
    compaired to cows milk 3.6% protien 3.5%fat and 4.7% carbohydrate.
    The womanly art of Breatfeeding has a whole section on Why the breast is best.

I second that! Horrible advice!
    Formula does NOT have all that your baby needs, only your breastmilk does. That's the way God designed it. Your breastmilk is the prefect food. So perfect in fact, that it's all your wee one needs for the first year of life if you choose not to start solids until later. Can't say that about formula! Definitely read the arcticle that Andrea mentioned!

Sounds like you were talking to the pedi I had to take dd to last week. He actually told me to stop BF and that after 3 months human milk goes bad and is mostly just water. He also tried to tell me that LLL doesn't care about their babies, only the moms and we were all selfish for BF past 3 months and doing it for ourselves only (obviously a man who never was exhausted from all night nursing sessions or had couch-glued-to-butt syndrom)I am glad that I have the LLL to turn to when someone comes up with those ridiculous out dated theories. I was also wondering if there was somewhere I could report him to? I have the LLL but worry about other mothers that have not found it that he may be discourageing to BF. Neddless to say, I left before he examinted dd.

FYI, anyone in Arlington, TX avoid Dr. Edward E Moyaad.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn
    Sounds like you were talking to the pedi I had to take dd to last week. He actually told me to stop BF and that after 3 months human milk goes bad and is mostly just water. He also tried to tell me that LLL doesn't care about their babies, only the moms and we were all selfish for BF past 3 months and doing it for ourselves only (obviously a man who never was exhausted from all night nursing sessions or had couch-glued-to-butt syndrom)I am glad that I have the LLL to turn to when someone comes up with those ridiculous out dated theories. I was also wondering if there was somewhere I could report him to? I have the LLL but worry about other mothers that have not found it that he may be discourageing to BF. Neddless to say, I left before he examinted dd.

FYI, anyone in Arlington, TX avoid Dr. Edward E Moyaad.
    sounds like a man who has many issues with females -possibly his mom never breastfed him!! What is he - 80 years old?! Good call leaving & I'd warn others about him along with writing him & his practice a letter telling him he is giving incorrect advice. You may want to also look into sending a complaint to the medical board.

As for responding to the post - formula is not necessary!! Even the formula companies admit that "breast is best" - their claim to fame is trying to get as close to breastmilk as possible!! So why give an imitation of breastmilk, when you baby can have the real thing?

Amandalynn--I work for an insurance company and we have a system specifically for reporting poor treatment by doctors. I would call your insurance company's customer service department and ask how to go about filing a complaint against this doc. The insurance company I work for investigates this stuff very seriously, and we have "de-credentialed" doctors if we continue to receive complaints about them. That means they are no longer contracted and may lose patients over it.

Just a thought!

Amandalynn--almost forgot--you also need to watch the EOB's you get from your insurance company. I'd be willing to bet that he will still file a claim to get paid by your insurance company. If you left before he examined DD, that is fraud. I also hope you didn't pay your co-pay while you were there!!!

Krista
    Wife to Barney (nope, he doesn't hang out w/a guy named fred, nor is he a purple dinosaur!!)
    Proud mommy to Justin Reed
    Ada Grace will arrive sometime in July

Quote Originally Posted by justin's mama
    Amandalynn--almost forgot--you also need to watch the EOB's you get from your insurance company. I'd be willing to bet that he will still file a claim to get paid by your insurance company. If you left before he examined DD, that is fraud. I also hope you didn't pay your co-pay while you were there!!!

Krista
    Wife to Barney (nope, he doesn't hang out w/a guy named fred, nor is he a purple dinosaur!!)
    Proud mommy to Justin Reed
    Ada Grace will arrive sometime in July

DD is still on medicaid, I am sure he will file, but I don't get any EOB and as for reporting him to them, they don't really care.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)