Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sexual arousal

Default Sexual arousal

A person on another board I post on had issues with sexual arousal while breastfeeding that really weirded her out, and caused her to stop breastfeeding. She's pregnant again, and wants to avoid these issues. I did some googling, but found very little on this subject.

Can anyone find any resources concerning this? I'd like to know where to point her for information.

Default Re: Sexual arousal

I have extremely sensitive nipples. I don't find BFing sexually arousing but I do find the sensation very bothersome. I have experienced orgasms from nipple stimulation alone so I know they are super-sensitive. I guess it's a good thing in a sexual sense and a bad thing for breastfeeding. I have cut back to nursing only a few times a day, pumping, and supplementing when needed because I feel a lot better doing that. Perhaps your friend could work out something like that.

I have never personally had any issues with this, but have read, I think in the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book that it is common to have the same sort of feeling of arousal while breastfeeding because while nursing b/c the same hormone is being excreted in your body to initiate let down is the same hormone as sexual arousal. I would tell her that and if she experiences this that she should channel it towards feeling close and loving with her child and nothing more. It doesn't make her weird or abnormal.

I've experienced this feeling. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens occasionally. It's really very normal! As the post above says, the same hormones are being triggered during let down as when you're sexually aroused. Also, your nipples are more sensitive than usual during the end of pregnancy and bf. It hasn't wierded me out. I try to simply remember that breasts have more than one purpose and our culture's view on sexuality is what makes it feel strange. I have no idea how to prevent this, but maybe it would help your friend to know that it's a completely normal physiological and hormonoal response and has nothing at all to do with innapropriate thoughts toward the baby. Besides - it's a hell of a lot better than nipple pain!

Oh, and sometimes, DH and I simply take advantage of the situation after the baby's fed and asleep.

The reason for the sexual arousal is hormones. When baby latches on your body releases prolactin to tell your body to make milk. At the same time however, your body is releasing oxytocin (spelling??) which is related to contractions (i.e. why your uterus shrinks back into shape faster when you BF) but it can feel very similar to mini-orgasms. That is believed to be why BF in the states became so unpopular in the 50s. I went through the same thing with my first baby, but after a while the sensations seemed to subside (dr said it was because my uterus had no more reasons to contract, it was back to normal size). With my second I ignored it and again, after about 2 months it subsided. Hope this helps.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)