Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I letting my 6 day old nurse to long?

Default Am I letting my 6 day old nurse to long?

I've been feeding my DS on demand and there are times when he'll nurse for hours, literally. He seems to want to nurse until he's sound asleep. Right after these long feedings he tends to spit up. He doesn't spit up after his shorter feedings (20-45 min) Is he just using me as a pacifier? I don't want to limit his feeding time but I don't want him to eat until he's sick if he's just looking for comfort. Thoughts or suggestions?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Am I letting my 6 day old nurse to long?

Hi and congratulations on your new baby! It sounds like you are doing fine. It is normal for babies to "cluster feed" where they will VERY frequently or for a very long time, and then maybe rest for a bit. It usually is not possible to nurse too much. It is very common for babies to spit up. Sometimes this is from overeating a bit--but it isn't a problem. It's kind of their own way of correcting things themselves. It sounds like your milk has come in, correct? Are you now seeing at least 5-6 wet disposable diapers (6-8 if cloth) and at least three bowel movement the size of a US quarter in 24 hours? If so, then everything should be fine. Keep up the good work! Don't worry, eventually baby won't need to nurse quite so much.

Yes my milk came in on Tuesday and he is peeing and pooping like a champ. I'm excited that nursing is coming relatively easy once I get used to the sleep deprivation it'll be smooth sailing. Now if he'd only liked somewhere else to sleep besides on me!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    I've been feeding my DS on demand and there are times when he'll nurse for hours, literally. He seems to want to nurse until he's sound asleep. Right after these long feedings he tends to spit up. He doesn't spit up after his shorter feedings (20-45 min) Is he just using me as a pacifier? I don't want to limit his feeding time but I don't want him to eat until he's sick if he's just looking for comfort. Thoughts or suggestions?
    Babys are just spitters and thats all there is too it! At 6 days old there is no "too long" at the breast. Right now there is this special silent communication between your body and the baby. You baby is telling your breast how much milk is needed by the amount your bb nurses.
    I would suggest that you look into different positions, I know its hard because they're so floppy at that age; but look into the side lying position. I used a recieving blanket to elevate my breast to the correct hight. I really needed some rest! Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work right away, once your baby gets a wee bit older you can try out more positions with better luck!

When my son was a couple days old to about 3 weeks, he wouldnt sleep anywhere but on my chest.