Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do you still nurse on demand?

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Do you still nurse on demand?

I've always nursed Ellie on demand. Recently another mom expressed surprise that I still nursed Ellie on demand and so frequently. She said she fed on demand till about six months, then started offering solids instead of nursing. I plan on letting Ellie self wean, so feeding on demand kind of just goes with that, IMO. What do you do?

Default Re: Do you still nurse on demand?

Yes-my daughter is 19 months and we have always nursed on demand, day or night. However, after about 6 months, the demands became less and less. Now we are down to just 1-2 (usually 1) short sessions a day.

My daughter is 14 months and I usually nurse her whenever she wants. Certainly it seems more when we are just home and not doing anything. I think she just wants to nurse out of boredom or for comfort. If we are busier or out and about, it is much less. Hope that helps...

I didn't stop untill my last two were older then a year old.
    Once they were a year old we nursed on demand at home and then no so much when we were out and about.

My lo is 17 months and in general I still nurse on demand - which some days is quite a bit. When I wanted to wean my older two I would offer food instead of nursing - but that was after 1 year old. Sometimes I'll offer him food instead of nursing if it is a meal time and I'm feeding my older kids -- that's usually only an issue in the AM; at lunch and dinner he's very interested in eating solids.

Sometimes when we're out he'll indicate that he wants to nurse but if it isn't a good place he's okay with no. (I'll nurse most any where but sometimes we're at a friends house and it just wouldn't go over well, KWIM?) Usually, it's me that wants to nurse because I'm going to explode but he doesn't want to stop and miss any of the fun.

Laura

I basically do the same as the other PP's...at home she seems to nurse more (less to be distracted about maybe?) but then out and about she seems to nurse less. She's one now. I nurse "on demand" unless its obvious that it would work best for both of us otherwise. For example, sometimes I nurse her, then sit down to eat my own food. Sometimes she wants to nurse ten minutes into that. If I say not now, and distract her with something else (like solids) and she is fine with that, then I nurse later. But I don't make this a practice. It happens once in a while. Like today, I was out and she wanted to nurse, so I did. Then she wanted to again, an hour later. I instead offered some solids, since where I was it was hard for me to nurse her the first time (the people I was with weren't overly supportive). She was fine with that. If she wasn't, I would have nursed anyways. Does that make sense? Basically I usually do nurse on demand but sometimes I don't, if she's okay with it. I know when she isn't, that's for sure!

I nurse my 14month old on demand. But if he's not with me he goes all day w/out BM and eats enough solids and drinks enough liquid to be fine.

Way too lazy for formula

For the most part, I am still nursing my 14 1/2 mo. old on demand, she's only demanding 4 to 5 times per day right now.

Sometimes, when she's getting sleepy and asks to nurse while reaching into my shirt, I have to put her off for a little while...just 'til after her bath or after her lunch - it's so much easier to put her to bed at night or for a nap after a nursing session.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Yes and i have twins who atre 3years and 4 months and still demand feed.
    louise

I nursed my DS on demand until he was about 21 months. Then, I started to put some limits--but still allowed many opportunities for BF. As he gotten older, he's dropped some nursing on his own, and some I've encouraged or limited myself (like at nighttime). I think its probably good to nurse on demand for the first year, when BM is the primary source of nutrition. After that, many moms do start to put some limits on BF, but it certainly is fine to continue to nurse on demand if that is working well for you.