Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician said nursing after 18 months is not good nutrition

Default Pediatrician said nursing after 18 months is not good nutrition

I respect my ped so when she said that nursing beyond 18 months may actually be bad nutrionally, I started to worry. Also, the What to Expect the Toddler Years by Heidi Murkoff (page 32) cites the following problems with extended bfeeders:
    1-dietary needs are not met by breastmilk
    2-bm is bad for teeth
    3-bad effect on toddler's appetite
    4-bfing may limit mother-child interactions - if all you do is nurse and you don't get to the park, then you are missing out,etc.
    5-ear infections from bfing lying down
    6- "possible overdependence"
    7- "forestalled development of self-comforting skills"
    8- the effect on your spousal relationship
    Yikes! Suddenly, I feel lousy about extended bfing. Does anyone have some strong counterarguments. Please share!

Default Re: Pediatrician said nursing after 18 months is not good nutrition

there may be some helpful info on this page. Good luck

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBextended.html

Here's a quote from this page:
    Myth 23: The lying-down nursing position causes ear infections.

Fact: Because human milk is alive and teeming with antibodies and immunoglobulins, the baby is less likely to develop ear infections overall, no matter what position is used.

Myth24: Nursing a baby after 12 months is of little value because the quality of breast milk begins to decline after six months.

Fact: The composition of human milk changes to meet the changing needs of baby as he matures. Even when baby is able to take solids, human milk is the primary source of nutrition during the first year. It becomes a supplement to solids during the second year. In addition, it takes between two and six years for a child's immune system to fully mature. Human milk continues to complement and boost the immune system for as long as it is offered.

http://www.llli.org/NB/LVAprMay98p21NB.html
    Last edited by Number3; February 14th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yikes!!! And I really liked her pregnancy book, I would never have guessed those things would be in the toddler book. Here are my counter arguments:

1. Maybe it won't meet ALL nutritional needs, but neither does any other single food. It is still very nutritious (see link to kellymom site below for nutrition info) BM continues to be a more well rounded food than any other single food. Think of it this way -- if one toddler eats only breastmilk for 2 months and another eats only apples for 2 months, which do you think will be healthier? Of course, the first, but we don't say apples are not nutritious. Why is it that cow's milk suddenly becomes SO important yet milk made for humans is no longer of value?--doesn't make sense. By the way, humans are the only mammals that drink other mammals milk. Studies done by anthropologists have concluded that the natural biological age for weaning would likely be somewhere between age 2 and 7.

2. Here is a link to new info about BF and tooth decay: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...yJun06p27.html
    By itself, BM was found not to be harmful to teeth. With other foods it is, but that would also be true for other beverages like milk or juice.

3. That's just silly. It's like saying drinking a glass of milk or eating a sandwich has a bad effect on appetite. Eating any food would affect your appetite for other foods. BM is a highly nutritious food.

4. This is also silly. If all you do is sit and hug all day, or sit and watch TV all day, or only color all day....you'd miss other things. Why on earth would BFing keep you from engaging in other activities?

5. See information posted by PP.

6. There are many professionals who feel that the opposite is true. That meeting a child's needs help him/her to be more secure and therefore eventually more independent. Our culture puts a lot of emphasis on independence, I think sometimes it is too soon and to the detriment of our kids emotionally. Only in recent time and in western culture has weaning commonly taken place so early. Have you read the Dr. Sears books?

7. Same argument as for #6.

8. I'm not sure why this has to be an issue. If you disagree about it, then, yes it could cause problems. But so could any other disagreement. Whether you BF or not, there will still be struggles to meet both the needs of your child and your spouse. That's just parenting.

In response to ALL of them--The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends nursing for AT LEAST one year and as long thereafter as mother and baby want to continue. They state that there are no recognized ill effects of continuing to nurse. The World Health Organization recommends nursing for a minimum of two years. There are documented benefits to extended breastfeeding. See these links: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-myths.html

Hi J & L's Mama,

It concerns you to hear your pediatrician's views and then read this list of reasons not to continue breastfeeding from a well-known book. What do you think about these concerns? How did you feel about your nursing relationship before talking to your ped. and reading this book? What do you feel are the benefits of continuing to nurse for you and your lo? Some of these points in this list can be countered with articles and information, but also important is the actual relationship that you have with your lo and your nursing goals.

There’ve been several good links already posted. This recent article from New Beginnings discusses toddler nursing, the advantages for mother and child, & tips for handling criticism. Then, at the end of the article there's a list of many common myths surrounding toddler nursing.

ETA -- Another really great read is Mother Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner. That book itself would likely give you counter-points to everything on that list.

HTH,
    Mary
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; February 15th, 2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add book info

I just read Mothering your Nursing toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner
    I don't know if its still in print but thats a good read. Your local LLL group might have a copy in its lending libary.
    Sometimes doing things that aren't so main stream set us up for thoose fealings of maybe were doing things in a way that will hard our child. very sad realy!

There was a recent thread that was similar to this that might help:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=15910
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I just wanted to point out that, first, the above posters have fanasterrific information!, and second, that her books also advocate crying it out at 3 months (What to expect the first year). I think they are bogus! Just my very humble opinion, of course !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I would just like to say, that BM is bad for teeth? IF you don't take care of your child's teeth and teach them how to take care of them, then ANYTHING but water is going to be bad for their teeth. Thats just reaching to far if you ask me.

When my friend visited me in the hospital after I had my first she saw that someone else have given me a copy of What to Expect the First Year. She told me I would do best to return it and buy Dr. Sears Baby Book. I did. Well, I eventually inherited a used copy of that book and I can see why my friend said to trash it. I can only imagine what the toddler book says. If memory serves, in the First Year book she wants you limiting nursing to 2 or 3 times a day by 9 months or so. She also wanted nursing schedules for babies. She also was a huge advocate of CIO. I'm not saying following these things would make you a terrible parent, but she made the reader feel like they were a terrible parent if they weren't following these standards.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by bel4fan View Post
    I would just like to say, that BM is bad for teeth? IF you don't take care of your child's teeth and teach them how to take care of them, then ANYTHING but water is going to be bad for their teeth. Thats just reaching to far if you ask me.
    I am sorry, but I am not sure what you are referring to.

If it is to the above posters reference to breastmilk alone not contributing to tooth decay, she is right. It is no worse for tooth decay than any other food, and becuase it has antibacterial properties, it is even less of a contribution than most foods and beverages.

You are correct though, that we must teach our children how to care for their teeth...that is the best method of all at preventing tooth decay.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes