Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pacifier at daycare

Default Pacifier at daycare

My daycare provider informed me that they began offering my son (almost 6 mos) a pacifier to get him to nap during the day. At home, he usually falls asleep at the breast during the day. He is able to fall asleep on his own at night (goes from awake to asleep on his own without help), so that is not an issue.

I am torn on this subject. I don't want to cause probems with my provider (it has been a good place) but I'm worried about Alex getting addicted to the pacifier. Since he would only get it a daycare, is this a worry? It is not interfering with nursing at all (he is a champ) and probably fulfils his need to suck, since he only gets bottles during the day.

I am going to travel in a few days and have worried about DS when I am gone. If the pacifier helps soothe him, should I have DH give him one? We were planning to bring the baby (it's a business trip), but the last business trip we took him on was a nightmare (all involved agreed the baby would have been better off at home, even without mom for a few days)

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Default Re: Pacifier at daycare

boy thats a hard one at least they told you about the pacifier and didn't just do it. I would think that if he is having bottles while you work the pacifier will not bother him. I had one baby that needed one, he would nurse and nurse and nurse forever if he could and not got to sleep. I would lay him down and give him the pacifier and 3 sucks and he was out. as long as its not taking the place of a feeding, some kids just need to suck more than others.
    good luck!

We give our baby (5.5 weeks) a pacifier occasionally and it does not affect breastfeeding at all. All babies are different of course. Had they already given it to him BEFORE they told you? I would be a little upset about that, but most day care providers are not too enthusiastic about BFing anyway (I used to work in day care with infants and hated handling all the breast milk, keeping it straight, etc... lol) and probably see no harm in offering a paci. At the hospital they gave us those Soothie brand ones but he can't keep them in, so we give him a little Nuk one and he does okay. He never sucks on it more than a couple of minutes before he's konked out.

we too use a paci (ds is 10wks). it wasnt my intention to use it but when he was 2wks old he was cricumsied (sp?) and couldnt eat 2hrs before it. i bought the MAM ones and he has no problems with bf'ing and the paci. we mainly use it at night like LuMo does or car rides when i cant bf right that sec. for awhile i thought he was going to give it up bc he just wouldnt take it and i even tried switching to the geber gentleflex ones ($6.50 for 2) and of course he decides he likes the MAM ones. oh well!!

if you havent noticed it causing any problems bf'ing then you should be fine. in fact with you being gone for a few days dad may find it handy to have it when he just wants to suck

Wow - what a position.

I have run many schools - many of which also had infant care as a bonus for parents of school children.

When you have your baby in any formalized daycare (I.e. not a private nanny) - you are asking one provider to watch between 4-6 children a the same time. Your baby is not the only one - and I can attest that when they are all sleepy - something has to give sometimes. And although bf is the very best - they can be some of the hardest children to deal with in childcare because no one can soothe them the way they are most likely used to (at the breast).

While I can't agree wtih giving a pacifier without talking to you first - they may be out of ideas, or not know how to handle it any differently.

The good news is children will form different sleep patterns in different surroundings. We had plenty of babies who would just lay down for us and go to sleep - while at home would scream and fuss for hours before going down. Usually whatever expectation is laid down they will adjust to. So I guess what I am saying is that even though they are giving him a binky at daycare - it does't mean he will start needing one everywhere necessarily.

If you are going out of town - you may want to leave one with hubby so that worst comes to worst he has something to get him trough the night.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I am just going to let it go. I am even going to let DH use one for sleep purposes over the weekend. I am surprised at how little my daycare knows about breastfed infants. I keep getting hints that I should wean. It is very discouraging. I don't feel supported at all. Nothing overt. Just comments like, he will need food soon because he can't get enough nutrition from breast milk (what craziness). I think they hate handling the milk.

Thanks for your support and advice. It really does help!!!

One thing to remember too - just because they specialize in child care doesn;t mean they know anything about nutrition. They have 1 class that is required along the health and nutrition line in order to do child care - and it is focused on older children. So this leaves them with the knowledge they have, and the knowledge the supervisors have.

One thing I did was bring in a LLL Leader to my school to meet with the infant teachers and answer questions. One thing they were freaked out with the bm was that they could catch infectious diseases from it, should the mother have any.

In any event - good luck!

Maybe printing out some info on nutrition and giving it to your provider would stop any of that "nonsense" talk. Most ppl are so out of date when it comes to feeding babies period, regardless of bf or ff.
    I could go on forever.

*getting away from soap box

Hi! I didn't want to give my dd a pacifier at daycare either. I eventually gave her one because she is a comfort sucker. I knew that she would have a very hard time sleeping or being comforted since the breast was all the she was used to. She adjusted to using it after awhile. Now she only uses it when I am not with her or occasionally when I can't feed her that second...and she adjusted to that very well. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangdjb
    I think they hate handling the milk.
    I think you're probably right. I hated it when I worked in child care. I know it's silly, because it's not like BLOOD, but still you have the thought that this came out of someone else's body... and generally any liquid that comes from someone else's body is not good to be touching. It's nonsense, really, but a mental thing I think. Even though we all know how healthy breast milk is, it is more work to feed a baby (in a day care setting) breast milk than formula. The formula fed ones you can make up all the bottles at the same time, stick them in the fridge and you're set for the day. The breast milk ones have to be made separately making sure you have the right milk for the right baby. It's not a HUGE deal of course, but when you have eight babies and only two adults, anything that disrupts routine is frustrating. Please don't think I'm excusing them at all, just trying to say how it is from the other perspective.

I'm glad the pacifier is not a problem for you guys! I kind of wish my baby would take one better/more often than he does, because sometimes I know he's just sleepy but he 'thinks' he needs to eat some more.