Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can I post some good news?

Default can I post some good news?

I've gotten some good answers here and I appreciate that. So I thought I'd share in case it helps newer mothers than me. My son will be two months tomorrow. We've been EBF since the beginning and I definately had weeks of painful nipples - and I mean crying they hurt so much! I had no idea that it would hurt so much, I simply hadn't given it any thought.I 've been fortunate, though, and haven't had to deal with thrush or blebs or undersupply or anything like that.

My mother and plenty of other people told me it would get better, but in those first weeks, it didn't seem like it would, especially when I was still recovering from the birth itself and in lots of pain from a bad tear.

But I am very happy to report that it DID get better! For the last week or so, I haven't had any real pain from nursing! Occasionaly, he still latches a little painfully or he comes off badly, but even that doesn't hurt like it does in the beginning. My supply has evened out in the past week or so and I don't really feel engorgement. I do sometimes have a painful letdown. But it's all so manageable. I wanted to share to let those of you a few weeks behind me that it really does get easier and the pain really will subside. I hope it helps to know that!

Of course, he dosen't have teeth yet....

Default Re: can I post some good news?

Congratulations on things getting better! Remember never to "go ahead and nurse" when he has a bad latch, even if one or both of you is tired. It's worth the extra minute to get him off and latched back on.

Also, if you are apprehensive about teeth, if there is a proper latch, their teeth should not come into contact with your breast. Mothers have been known to get the occasional bite, but teeth should not present a problem or sore nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLErin
    Congratulations on things getting better! Remember never to "go ahead and nurse" when he has a bad latch, even if one or both of you is tired. It's worth the extra minute to get him off and latched back on.

Also, if you are apprehensive about teeth, if there is a proper latch, their teeth should not come into contact with your breast. Mothers have been known to get the occasional bite, but teeth should not present a problem or sore nipples.
    Thanks! I don't - I will take him off and make him try again, but occasionally he'll do something wrong before I can interviene.

Great job! Congratulations on the wonderful job you're doing, and please DO keep us updated! We love to hear about the mamas progress here and their babies

Congrats!!! When she got teeth, it felt uncomfortable at first. It never hurt, and I very soon got used to the different feeling.

Breastfeeding my first son, I set a goal of six months EBF only because of my fear of teeth! But he self-weaned at 14 months, and he never ever bit me. Frankly (and luckily!), I noticed no difference.

The best advice I EVER received that any difficult period in life will work itself out in two weeks. Good job hanging in there!