Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Boosting Immune System

JC's MOM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Question Boosting Immune System

Since my 1 year old DD started at the babysitters 2 weeks ago, she has been sick 3 times. First a cold, then another cold with Roseola, now we are just beginning to recover from a nasty bout with an upper respiratory and gastro-intestinal infection-very high fever, vomiting etc. Since starting back to work this week I have already had to miss 3 days to care for my poor little girl. I know when they start daycare that it is common to get sick and that it will strengthen her immunity but I was wondering if there is anything I can take or give her that will help give her a little boost and maybe protect her a little better. It seems like we just get over one thing, she is fine for a day or two and then she is sick again. She is not a picky eater, eats all fruits and vegetables, meats, cheeses and yogourt and breastfeeds mainly at night. Would a vitamin supplement help or just a waste of time and money? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Boosting Immune System

You can ask your ped. about a probiotic supplement(good microflora in the digestive system). The ones I take(Jarro Dophilus) from Wild Oats say they can be taken by infants. You can open the capsule and mix it with water or a little juice. Probiotics are supposed to be good for boosting the immune system. You can read about them here. I am not sure how you personally taking them effects the baby. Again, ask your ped. You might also ask at the daycare if they are washing her hands on a regular basis. Do they look clean when you pick her up? Also ask if they wash the toys. Hope your lo gets better soon.