Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I build a freezer supply?

Default How do I build a freezer supply?

My baby is two months old now. I'd like to have a supply in the freezer for when I may be away from the baby. We like to give him a bottle at least once a week so that he'll take it if we ever go out for an evening. I did try pumping a little every day about two weeks ago, but when I asked a LC why I seemed to be getting more engorged at night rather than less, she suggested that I stop. I haven't had engorgement since, except when he slept longer at night than usual. I'm happy about that of course, but I'd still like to have some for the freezer and I know that some mothers do this. How do you do it?

Default Re: How do I build a freezer supply?

I always found that pumping at a time that was more or less in synch with when my body needed to make milk for baby anyway gave less issues with engorgement. So, if you can wake up earlier than baby - i.e., before the first feeding session of the morning - and pump some then, you should be in good shape. Your body has a high level of prolactin during the night so you have a good supply first thing. You should probably be able to pump and then still feed baby just fine 30 min or an hour later - and hopefully not have any engorgement issues. Give it a try? Good luck!
    Jsmom

ITA w/the above suggestion. Not only would you avoid the engorgement issue, but you'll also have a higher yeild of milk. If your baby should wake, you could even nurse on one side and pump on the other.

HTH!

I always pump one side and nurse on the other ESPECIALLY first thing in the morning. That is when I have the most milk and can build a supply from that. I work full time and pumping in the morning is when I get the most milk for my baby for daycare. I get just as much in one pumping session in the morning as I do during my other 5 sessions throughout the day. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmom
    So, if you can wake up earlier than baby - i.e., before the first feeding session of the morning
    are you kidding me? I couldn't possibly do that! Besides, is the first session the 5am or the 8am? Either way, that just seems way too difficult. Crazy even. I do want to have some in the freezer, but I can't loose sleep over it either. Literally.

I always pump at baby's first morning feeding--bf on one side and pump on the other. I pump 2 other times during the day, but I get a ton of milk in the morning. I am engorged every morning, when ds wakes up, but that has always been the case--pumping just relieves it on both sides instead of just one.

I was in your situation just a few weeks ago when I returned to work - it was really hard to build a freezer supply, and I still only have about 20oz, but I figure that that's 20 oz I won't have to supplement!

I was only able to get ANY amount pumped if I waited 1.5-2 hours after our last feeding. I started waiting until my daughter was asleep, drinking lots of water and relaxing. When 1.5 hours had passed, I would try pumping and freeze what I got (often only an ounce!). Then I still had a half hour or so to build up a little bit to feed my daughter when she woke.

It is really hard though - I had resigned myself to having to supplement a few times before I was able to pump enough at work to bring home, but we were able to eek out those first days. Also, she wasn't crazy about taking a bottle at first, so her first few half days at daycare, she only took an ounce or two and then nursed like crazy when she came home.

Good luck to you! Please let us know how it goes!

I have the same concern. Trying to prepare to have pumped milk available when I return to work. I thought that pumping one side (one side tends to produce more milk for some reason) and feeding on hte other would work. It has so far but I have gone from being really "full" one day to less full the next. I worry that I am not producing enough milk to continue the same schedule (usually first in the am and a bit throughout the day). I know the supply and demand theory, but sometimes it feels like dd gets to the "bottom of the barrel" during a feeding. Is it all in my head?

Thank Heaven there are other's out there that have the same feelings of milk production inadequacy as me! I often wonder as I am pumping and counting drips, just wondering if this will be the time I won't get enough if women in the "olden days" had the same worries/concerns as me. And sometimes I don't get as much milk and I fret until the next time I pump/feed and then I might get more and I might not. But DD still seems to gain weight and then a couple days later I have an overabundance. I guess it must be my bodies way of responding to my baby, but it can be so stressful. Today I went home to feed DD at lunch and she wouldn't eat and she acted hungry but refused the breast and I took it so personally! And I had to leave, and I called the sitter an hour and a half later and she had taken a nap and then eaten. I cried--I felt like she didn't want me...rambling now, but just needed to let off some steam! Keep pumping, is what I say, and eventually a supply you shall have

I guess just learning quit stressing is what I need to focus on. Thank you to all who chat on this board. I can't tell you all how helpful it has been!!