Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when start solids

Default when start solids

hi
    we have a 3 month old son.entered 4 th month.a week.
    when start solids?
    i read gerber.com website for info on this
    he stills drools-so may be we shudnt introduce as of yet as he may push out the solid food with tongue

also not sure then if my milk is enough (breast feeding) for him to gain weight
    he recnetly feeds 3 hours apart or so or yesterday slept more 3 hour naps during day.nightly 1-2 times feeds.and my breast engorged in mrong.i am already feeding one breast at a time.is this enough milk for him?

as breasts engorged, how avoid reduction in milk supply (pump every time?in night, that is, after feeding?

thx

Default Re: when start solids

LLL's stance on starting solids is that you wait until "at least" the middle of the first year, which would be about 6 months, bearing in mind also that some babies aren't interested at that age and that breast milk is a complete food for at least the first year.

For a more indepth explanation, please refer to this FAQ page: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Question Re: when start solids

Erin,

I have read the link you put here, but my question is what does LLL mean by interest in food? I mean, I could have a bagel or a piece of plastic in my mouth - and dd wants it in her mouth. How do I tell the difference between her wanting to chew on anything at all - and her wanting food? Ihave put the plain bagel at her lips, to see what she would do (no I don;t plan on feeding her this...lol) - and she licks it, licks her lips, smiles and opens her mouth again.

She is 5.5 months old, can sit up on her own for 5 min or so, has lost her tongue thrust and exclusively bf right now.

ANy insight would help.

The AAP recommends that babies be exclusively breastfed for at least the first full 6 months of life. This means that solid foods should not be introduced prior to 6 months of age, regardless. After that, babies may begin showing signs of being interested in solid foods but they also need to be developmentally ready for them as well. Some signs that babies are developmentally ready to handle foods other than breastmilk are: the ability to sit upright unassisted and loss of tongue-thrust reflex. If you feel your baby is physically and developmentally ready to start solid foods then it's alright to offer a teaspoon of something here and there. Or you could wait until your baby is able to eat soft table foods. Of course, there's no saying that even if your baby is physically & developmentally ready for solids that they'd even show an interest in them. Many babies are much closer to one year of age rather than 6 months of age before they're interested in solid foods.

To be sure, it can be difficult for parents to know because babies will grab for anything and put it into their mouth. Just because they're ready to eat a button doesn't necessarily mean they're ready to eat an avocado, lol. It's up to us as parents to make this distinction. A good indication that baby isn't ready for solids is if they have an adverse reaction to a new food, including the food coming out undigested in their diaper.

That said, once solid foods are introduced the baby should be nursed first and then offered a small amount of solids. Solid foods should never take the place of breastmilk. Solid foods in the first year of life are simply for baby to experiment with. Breastmilk remains the perfect food for your baby for the first full year of life It is enough to help him continue to gain weight. If baby does not continue to gain weight it could be because too many solid foods are being eaten and not enough breastmilk is being consumed.

If you are nursing baby before offering solids and offering solids sparingly then you should not see a decrease in your supply at all.

Also, just as an aside -- in terms of where we get our information from -- remember that places like Gerber.com have a vested interest in getting you to buy their product. Their information may not be in the best interests of your baby I've always found a good place for information on infant nutrition to be Dr. Sears and La Leche League, to name a few.
    Last edited by LLLCarol; March 21st, 2006 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sa2004
    hi
    also not sure then if my milk is enough (breast feeding) for him to gain weight
    he recnetly feeds 3 hours apart or so or yesterday slept more 3 hour naps during day.nightly 1-2 times feeds.and my breast engorged in mrong.i am already feeding one breast at a time.is this enough milk for him?

as breasts engorged, how avoid reduction in milk supply (pump every time?in night, that is, after feeding?

thx
    your milk should be enough & don't rely on solids to have him gain weight b/c breastmilk (or formula) should continue to be the main source of their calories for 12 mos. Are you concerned that he isn't gaining weight? How are his diapers - does he have wet diapers during the day? Do you offer him the other breast or just the one side. See if he'll take the other side, if he doesn't want it, then maybe he is full from the first side. I feed on one side the majority of the time.

I'm not sure if I understand your question but if you are getting engorged at night (DS sleeping more hours?) then you can pump just to relieve the engorgement & your body will readjust (but not right away) so you won't get engorged all the time. You will be full but not feel engorged. But, if you want to build up a stash or keep your supply up during the night, then pump fully when you are engorged. I stopped pumping in the middle of the night b/c DD sleeps through (sometimes) and I can still pump in the am & get enough for her day (plus I have a freezer full). Also, if you only feed on one side, you can always pump the other to build a supply.

As for starting solids - I agree with previous posters.

Hope that helps

hi
    thx
    his weight gain is fine-now 11 pounds 8 ounes-he was born dec 15
    he has about 5-7 wet diapers-4 dirty diapers or more
    how do we know correct weight gain per age of the baby?
    thx

Thanks Carol - that was helpful.

When we are eating, she will yell or gripe until I put it to her lips, in which case she stops, licks it, smiles and then will let me take a bite and then start all over if I do not offer it to her again. If she's chewing on plastic, for example, she could care less is someone takes it away.

This isn't from an approved LLL source, although I have verified the information and it is verbatim out of La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book -- Average Weight Gain for Breastfed Babies

HTH!