Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night-time fussiness...

Default Night-time fussiness...

my LO is 11 weeks and seems to be getting fussier and fussier each week...around 5-7. I used to be able to give her the breast and it would pacificer her, but now she she'll scream if I offer it to her. So, rock her for an hour to get her to that calm state...then she takes a short 20 min nap.

Is there something i can do to prevent her getting so upset around this time? it bad that she's napping right before her bedtime? And do they grow out of this fussy stage?

Default Re: Night-time fussiness...

Could it be an early 3 month growth spurt?

I have found that keeping things calm and making sure DS hasn't gone 2 hours of being awake has helped keep our evenings sane. Last night I also did a little bit of baby massage. I rubbed DS's legs and arms, basically just stroking him and using the heat from my hands to relax him. He totally melted And when DH picked him up to rock him to sleep, he was out like a light!

Good luck, and I hope the fussies pass for you soon
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetmadeline View Post
    Is there something i can do to prevent her getting so upset around this time? it bad that she's napping right before her bedtime? And do they grow out of this fussy stage?
    I was told that babies can get over tired and act like this. Is it possible that your baby actually needs an early bedtime? I used to put my boy down around ten, with an early nap like you, but i now put him to sleep around 8, and if I take precautions he won't act like its a nap; less light, less noise, lay down to feed him ect.

We are having the exact same thing. My LO is 11 weeks old as well. In the last few weeks he has been much more fussier. More so starting about 8:00 p.m. but this also occurs throughout the daytime quite often. He also is only taking short naps, no longer than an hour at a time if we are lucky. We try everything we know how to do to help calm him but are usually unsuccessful and he ends up crying for a long time until he usually falls asleep. This is so different from the weeks before when he was a happy, calm baby! He seems to also be BF more often and drooling. Could he be teething? We also thought it might be a growth spurt? Any opinions would be appreciated!

I agree with carpentergirl. An earlier bedtime was the trick for us too! In addition to a happier baby, sometimes I can sneak out once she's asleep and spend some time with DH, which makes for a happier mommy, too! It's really just the age at this point with our LO's. They have hit a point where they are more alert and aware of what is going on around them, but the natural ability they're born with to fall asleep when overstimulated is beginning to disappear, so instead of going to sleep when overwhelmed, they now get FUSSY. I would try putting to bed earlier, or at least keeping the environment as quiet and free from distractions as possible at this point, so that your LO who is getting on the sleeping side isn't also getting a barrage of noise that adds to the distress! HTH

I have a 12 week old and found making "routine" things at bed time.... We start after dinner.. we play for about 25 minutes, then we make it towards the bath for tubby time, we then dress for bed, then it's an expressed bottle for Daddy and a book. The baby is out everynight by 7:30pm latest. out until 12:40... sometimes I get lucky and LO sleeps till 2 pm.

Mine is also starting to teeth early... Hand in the mouth...drooling... fussiness at night....

Hope this helps you out! Routines help some families.

Thanks everyone.

Maybe her bed time is earlier though I can't imagine putting her to bed earlier than what it is which is 7:30, but that's probably more my preference than hers.

We more or less have a routine for her. But I can't seem to help her fall asleep fast enough (this is for naps and for the nightime fussies)...I see all the signs, rubbing her eyes, big yawns and wimpering...and I try all the tricks (swaddle, soft music, bounce her,pat her, sway her...), but it takes her a good 30 mins to calm down and then another 10-15 to zone out and then she'll dooze off (sometimes). I'll keep working at this.

She also might be teething, which I hadn't even thought of. She is constantly sucking her hand, drooling and more fussy than usually. I'll look see what else I can do to soothe her if this is the culprit.

it takes her a good 30 mins to calm down and then another 10-15 to zone out and then she'll dooze off (sometimes).
    that amount of sleep time comforting doesn't sound odd or worrisome (nor does the fussiness) - I agree that she is older, therefore more aware of her surroundings in addition to the fact that is may be a growth spurt or teething - but the 45 minutes seems "reasonable" KWIM?

HTH
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Nice to see I'm not the only one dealing with this. My DD will be 11 weeks on Wednesday and just last week she started getting VERY fussy in the evenings from about 7:00pm-till we go to bed (usually around 11:00pm). She has also just started drooling and chewing on her fist (teething?). I think we're going to resort to an earlier bedtime...it's just difficult when DH doesn't get home from work till 4:00pm, then we have to start in on night time routine a couple hours later!!

This also happened with my son, the fussiness. He's now 14 weeks or so and almost overnight, his naps got longer and he got easier to put to sleep. I finally gave in and just brought him into our bed for the night and now I don't even know how many times he wakes at night. It must be the three month growth spurt. I've also heard an earlier bedtime really helps.