Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overfeeding?

Default overfeeding?

I think I'm misreading hunger cues . . . my DS is 5 wks old and very fussy. I think it's because I may be feeding him too much. He nurses every hour or so during the day, every three hours on the nose through the night. However, during the day he spits up frequently and is very fussy, especially in the morning. He's usually awake from 5 am to at least 10 am, closing his eyes for about 5 minutes here and there. I don't offer the breast as soon as he starts fussing, but if I try everything (cuddling, bathing, stretching out of the floor, vacuuming . . . not the baby, for the noise! . . . ) for at least half an hour with no result then I go ahead and feed him. At that point, we're breastfeeding because we both need a break! But often he still fusses even at the breast, finally just falling asleep out of sheer exhaustion.

So, we start a vicious daytime cycle of crying, feeding, spitting up, more crying, more feeding, more spitting up . . . he fills his diapers beyond capacity after an hour, and he's gaining weight rather quickly.

He doesn't root or smack his lips or otherwise indicate hunger. During the night, I usually wake up right before he does (weird how our bodies work!), so he doesn't get to the point of crying and he nurses very peacefully and goes right back to sleep after a burp or two.

I have an active 6 yr old DD and a 3 yr old DS, so maybe the house is too chaotic for my newborn during the day? What am I doing during the day that I'm not doing at night (or vice versa) that results in my son's split personality?

Default Re: overfeeding?

Does your ds sputter or choke while feeding? Does your milk seem to come out forcefully?

Sounds so much like my DD (dear daughter)! Minus the spitting up. I thought something was wrong because she DIDN'T spit up. (The doctor just said, "really? Good for her!" )

I'm not an expert, but I doubt you're feeding too much. I think that since you always END UP breastfeeding even after waiting indicates that that's what he wants.

Have you looked into babywearing? This REALLY calmed my fussy dd. For the first, I don't know, 6wks to 3mo, she was either screaming, nursing, or sleeping (on me), and sometimes two or more of those at once. (Yes, it did freak me out when Maggie would nurse and cry at the same time, but I think she just gets worked up sometimes.) She would even wake up screaming from a sounds sleep. But she was always a good nighttime sleeper, like yours too... always would go right back to sleep when I nursed her (lying down so not to wake her up too much!).

Anyway, since she always wanted to do her napping on me, she spent a lot of time in the "wrap." She would sleep for 3 hours in there, while in bed during the day, she'd sleep for maybe 1/2 an hour. I think it's just very secure for them to be with/on Mom. And maybe that will give you extra arms to tend to the older one.

By the way, everyone says how happy mine is now (nearly nine months). I keep thinking, "My baby? Who used to scream all the time?"

BTW, if you try the babywearing option, try to position him upright, as this may help him not spit up so much after a feeding. This position is possible with both wraps and slings. Good luck and best wishes!

Patty

I do have OALD. Now that DS is over a month old, my milk supply has seemed to even out a little bit, but we're not quite regular, if that's even possible! So, I do express before I feed him and I only nurse from one breast every three hours. I don't pump since that REALLY increases my supply and makes things much worse (pumped once daily with first son, and could fill two 8 oz bottles in 10 minutes!). I haven't quite perfected this, but his digestion seems much better than my first son's (didn't figure out OALD 'til the poor thing had suffered for many weeks with green poo and the whole nine yards).

I should clarify that I ALWAYS offer the breast first, but if DS fusses excessively at the breast, pulling and screaming, we take a break and try other forms of comfort. Like I said, I have to wonder if I'm misreading him since he is "outputting" so very well and spits up quite a bit and hiccups during the day. He NEVER spits up or has hiccups at night when feedings seem more regulated (he only wakes when he's hungry).

I very much appreciate the advice I've been reading here. Just wish I had it for my first son! And, unfortunately, very few people in my life support breastfeeding, except for my husband and in-laws. It's great to have a forum for all the questions that come up when I have no one to ask!

Well, ironically enough, DS has been sleeping peacefully today! He woke up at noon for a feeding and dropped back to sleep. He's stirring now, so have to catch him while he's happy!

I'm wondering if maybe your baby simply prefers the side lying position for nursing? Have you tried that position during the day when he's fussy/refusing the breast to see if it helps?

HOws your diet?
    my dd spit up alot and was fussy because she was bothered by cows milk
    when I stopped eating ice cream and yougart she was a diffent baby.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. LC and DR both recommended that I try stretching feedings out to every 2 hours and it worked miracles on the spitting up. She used to spit up projectile-like, but after we finally got the schedule worked out, it wasn't so bad. It sounded totally contradictory to me (I had always heard feed on demand), and since our baby was breastfeeding fine, the LC suggested that it might just be a sucking need, so we tried a pacifier. It worked, but Haylee never comfort nurses now. It kind of bums me out, but she is soooo much happier. She cried for 5 straight weeks and literally never stopped, until we figured it out. I hope it goes better for you!

erin

Have you talked with your doctor? This sounds like what my son did and we were just given a diagnosis of GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease). Not all babies that spit have this (in fact most don't) but if your baby does you want to get it under control asap! It can do damage. I would encourage you to just talk with your physician about his fussiness and spitting and see what he/she thinks. Also, try eliminating all milk for 2 weeks and see if that changes anything (milk, cheese, yogurt, anything with lactose, casine, whey, etc.). It is hard but if milk is the problem then it is worth it. Let us know if you need help doing it. I can send you research I have done on allergies and GERD if you end up needing that. Good luck and don't give up! It does get easier!!