Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much ebm for sitter for 10 mo old?

Default How much ebm for sitter for 10 mo old?

Ds is 10 months old and our goal is to continue bf'ing for at least a year. I am not wedded to extended bf'ing, but certainly not opposed. We'll just see where it takes us. I have really enjoyed breastfeeding, but I am SICK of pumping. I think I would be happiest to get to a point where he nurses only first thing in the morning and right before he goes to bed.

My question at this point is how much milk should I be sending to the sitter each day? Right now I pump between 10-12 ounces for the next day (2 pump sessions) and he usually finishes around 10 ounces over the course of the day. The kid LOVES food and gets the biggest portion of his daily solid foods during the day at the sitter. As he approaches a year, when can I drop a pump session and start sending less milk to the sitter? Any advice from those that have been there?

Default Re: How much ebm for sitter for 10 mo old?

Hmmm...I don't think there's an arbitrary date. I know that many mothers "pump wean" around one year. You could offer more solids, water, or even milk (cow, rice, soy, whatever) instead of the bottles he is getting now.

Babies need either breast milk or formula until they are a year. So, if you want to stop pumping before he's a year, you'll need to provide frozen milk for him at the sitter's, or send formula.

After about a year old, infants can transition to other milks (ask your doctor which one is right for you). Eventually, you'll have started replacing breast milk with milk and more solids.

It's a gentle transition.

You'll also need to wean from the pump gradually, don't just stop pumping one day. That leads to over-full breasts for a few days, and it's very uncomfortable, to say the least.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I'm in the same boat. My DD is just about 10 MOs now too. I'm so sick of the pump! She had been until recently nursing or getting a bottle from the sitter approx every 3 hours. Now she's up to every 4 hours. Perhaps within another month, it'll be every 5 hours then I'll be down to just one bottle that I"ll need to leave. My sister-in-law said that by 1 year she was just doing morning and bedtime nursings (she never went back to work so didn't have to deal with the dreaded pump), so I think it IS possible!

Hang in there! You're not alone, that's for sure!

Lily's Mom, I am glad to know that I am not the only one that has grown weary of the dreaded pump. I think that even the most dedicated nursing mom has to get tired of being hooked up to a pump like some sort of dairy cow 2-3 times a day month after month. Thankfully the positives of bf'ing far outweigh this negative!

Quote Originally Posted by home executive
    You could offer more solids, water, or even milk (cow, rice, soy, whatever) instead of the bottles he is getting now.

I'd like to clarify that my suggestion was for after pump weaning at a year.

Some mothers find that storing the milk in smaller quantities will greatly reduce the amount of waste, therefore reducing the amount of milk that they feel that they MUST pump for any given day. Many care providers will admit that they waste quite a bit of EBM, but once the baby has started on it, they will throw it away most likely, even if it's not finished.