Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not taking bottle at daycare

Default Not taking bottle at daycare

Hello- I am new to this forum, though have greatly enjoyed reading some of the posts on here. I can relate to a lot of it- the yanking of the nipple with her mouth, trying to jam fingers in mouth while nursing, etc. Too funny!

My DD is 4.5 months old. She is an avid breastfeeder and does enjoy comfort nursing regularly. I returned to work a month ago and initially she was doing great with the bottle (EBM), though in the last couple of weeks she's begun refusing it at daycare. I work part-time (2.5 consecutive days per week) and then she is at home with me for 5 days.

Any thoughts on whether I should attempt to replace one of my daily nursing sessions with a bottle feeding? It would be great if DH could do it in the evenings when he is home from work, but that seems counter productive since DD is extra fussy in the evening. It breaks my heart to think of her being hungry at daycare, so I'm open for suggestions on how we can balance as much nursing as possible at home while encouraging the bottle feeding when necessary. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Not taking bottle at daycare

My son is going through the same thing. He will be 7 month next week and started refusing the bottles at daycare about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I posted a thread on here in the weaning section and the breastfeeding help section. a LLL leader replied and stated it could be reverse cycling and attached some good articles. You can take a look at them they are labeled Bottle Strike: please help. I also did searches and came up with some good information.

Through the information most all said to try co-sleeping. Well we tried that for 3 nights. I couldn't take it, my son seemed to wake up more and want to feed more and more. So last night I decided that I was going to try to put an end to this reverse cycling and get him back on schedule. We placed him in his room to bed and everytime he woke up crying wanting to nurse, I just went into his room and rubed his tummy or back. I went into his room 5 different times last night, and ended up feeding him 2 times. My thoughts are if I can bring him back to his normal nursing schedule at night (1 to 2 times) that maybe he will start taking the bottle again for the daycare provider.

I went through the same stress on him being hungry at daycare, but I figure that one day he is just going to get really hungry and start taking that bottle again. I will let you know if my new process works and gets him to start taking the bottle again.

Good luck!!! I know what you are going through.

Lots of babies will refuse taking a bottle at daycare at some point. You could try asking your caregiver to vary the ways that she's offering the bottle - positioning, temperature, etc. Or, maybe baby is telling her that she's full, and caregiver isn't recognizing those signals.

Babies also sometimes refuse the bottle when the flow is too fast or too slow for their liking. Could you try experimenting with different kinds of bottle nipples.

The caregiver could also intorduce a sippy cup instead of a bottle, some babies prefer that. It often works better if you start the sippy cup with the valve removed, so that baby understands that there is something in there. Once baby figures it out, you can put the valve back in.

There are other ways to feed a baby, too. Medicine droppers, medicine cups, spoons, small glasses (shot glass size), or even just experiment with different kinds of bottle nipples.

I don't think that replacing a nursing session with a bottle feeding session will necessarily solve this problem.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank you so much for the advice. To LLLShannon:would you happen to have the link to the bottle strike article? I've searched around and can't seem to find it.

Again, thanks for the help.

Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!