Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing EBM - need advice!

Default Supplementing EBM - need advice!

My dd has been both breastfeeding and bottlefeeding since the hospital, initially on the advice of the lactation consultant due to difficulties we both were having with breastfeeding. Since coming home (she will be 5 wks on Thurs) I've tried to wean her off the bottle since I'm pretty sure it's interfering with her getting the hang of breastfeeding, but whenever I do she becomes extremely cranky and needs to feed pretty much constantly. I've never been sure about how much supply I have in the breast she feeds on (she won't feed on the right breast b/c of an inverted nipple), but when I tried estimating it by a procedure outlined in "The Nursing Mother's Companion" it was lower than what she needed for feeding only off that breast. I've been pumping the breast she doesn't feed on since day one, and that's what I use to supplement her.

At this point, I've gone back and forth a couple of times between supplementing her with every meal, and trying to wean her off the bottle. My husband feels that this is probably confusing her, and I agree. She'll be starting daycare in about three weeks and getting bottles all day at that time, and I'm afraid she'll come to prefer them and reject the breast. However, right now she's literally needing to bf CONSTANTLY; she won't sleep unless she's on the breast, and those are usually catnaps of about 15 minutes (or less). She used to be alert and agreeable at about 10 am and again around 6pm, but now she just fusses.

So my options are, spend the next three and a half weeks trying to get her to bf only and hope she overcomes this fussiness (my mother says that this is normal and it's the way I was, but I'm not sure), or go back to supplementing her regularly and hope she continues to both bf and bottlefeed.

Any suggestions? I really, really want to breastfeed and even though I know I CAN just bottlefeed her EBM, I'd be really disappointed. Even now she tends to be harder and harder to latch on, and she tends to pull away more and more. She's a very active baby so that might just be her personality, but it worries me.

Default Re: Supplementing EBM - need advice!

Fussiness can be normal, but let's see if we can figure out if something else is going on.

Are you supplementing now? How many ounces per day? When (after feedings/instead of a feeding)?

Is she having plenty of output? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

The constant nursing right now might be a growth spurt. My dd entered her 6 week growth spurt at about 4 1/2 weeks. Allowing her to nurse more when she needs it should also help boost your supply. You may want to try nursing exclusively the next 3 weeks and see if things improve. Since you know she'll take a bottle, starting daycare later shouldn't be a problem. Hang in there and good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie
    Are you supplementing now? How many ounces per day? When (after feedings/instead of a feeding)?

Is she having plenty of output? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    I started out supplementing after every feeding, very little at a time, usually only a half an ounce or less. As of the weekend I cut down on that, but without any specified amounts, since a lot of her feedings would run together. For the first couple of days she was still fine, and then starting Sunday she got into the fussy state she's in. Until today, when I haven't given her any bottles since early this morning, she would probably get maybe three or four ounces from a bottle each day - usually up to an ounce at a time. I try never to give her just a bottle, it always comes after a feeding unless I'm trying to estimate how much milk I have by pumping.

Her diaper output was fine - usually more wet diapers in the morning and evening, and more poopy ones in the middle of the day. Yesterday there was an increase in poopy ones and a slight decrease in wets. Today there have been mostly wets, though.

So far today she's dropping off for naps just fine, but never for more than 1/2 an hour even when I'm holding her.