Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Airline Travel & Breastmilk

Question Airline Travel & Breastmilk

I will be returning to work in a few weeks and have to travel a lot for my job. I plan to BF my daughter as long as possible and plan to pump and bring home the milk, but how can I travel with the new restrictions on liquids? Do they allow unlimited amounts of breastmilk? Do I have to check-in my luggage with the breastmilk? That could be very messy, not to mention so time consuming.

Default Re: Airline Travel & Breastmilk

You are allowed to fly w/ unlimited breastmilk IF travling with an infant. How long is your flight? I would pack it on ice and put it in one of those waterproof cooler zipper bags and pack it in my suitcase and check it. In the hotel you will have to keep it on ice the whole time. I pumped while on vaca and gave her a bottle on the plane for takeoff and landing so her ears wouldn't pop. Good luck!
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

thanks! unfortunately when i travel for work i won't have her with me so i guess there is a limit to how much i can express while on the road and bring back for her? or maybe i have to check it in...ugh!

You can use a program such as "Delat Dash" (packages on Delta flight) or FedEx overnight. It is not the cheapest idea but your milk will make it home. If you overproduce you can mail milk directly to a milk bank.

NAK
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk