Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grabbing Hair, Ear

Default Grabbing Hair, Ear

Hello everyone,
    My ds is almost 5 months now, and has been a great nurser so far. Just a couple of days ago though, he started doing something strange. He'll latch on and then start crying hard, and grabbing his ear and hair on his left side. My son rarely cries, so I know there's something wrong....I've considered ear infection but he has no fever or any other signs. The only way he'll calm down (and usually go to sleep) is if I put him in his sling and we go for a walk outside. He's otherwise happy! Thanks for any ideas!

Default Re: Grabbing Hair, Ear

It could still be an ear infection w/o a fever. You may want to call your doctor.

My 9 month old now has an ear infection and did the same thing at first. He wasn't sick at all, no congestion or anything and then whammo he started having high fevers. I thought it was just teething at first but the high fever persisted and then he got congested, not running out of the nose, but difficulty breathing. He is unable to nurse now because of the pain. I wouldn't wait to have your baby checked out by a doctor. I always thought he had to be sick first to get an ear infection (thats what most web sites will tell you) but I was wrong.

I would definitely call a doctor asap, to avoid further pain and discomfort to your son!

Thank you! We have an appointment tomorrow am. I so value this forum!!!

how did your doc appointment go? I hope everything is ok with your little one!

~Alissa
    wife to Ted
    mommy to Kayleen - 6months

It went well, thanks! Turns out likes to grab while he eats, and for some reason mostly on his left side, and his hair is there, so..... I'm making a nursing necklace though so he doesn't damage his locks!!