Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird tenderness--X post

Default Weird tenderness--X post

I am going to cross post this in the pregnant and nursing forum, because I have no idea if the two are related or not. Here it goes.

I am 9 weeks pregnant, just fyi. I have had nipple tenderness for a few weeks, but one side (my right) is getting really bad. Its actually behind the nipple, so that when I squeeze the areola (as if I were manually expressing milk), I get the absolute worst pain. It is getting to the point of being unbearable. I have what I would explain away as normal pregnancy nipple tenderness in the left breast, but when I do the manual expression "pose" with that breast, its not tender in the same spot. The pain has been getting worse every day. It is actually the worst when I get a let down until the milk is essentially gone, and then dd can suck all she wants with no pain at all, and when I do the compression, it doesn't hurt either. Also, it seems like that behind that nipple there is more mass...not a lot, but enough that its a bit noticeable. I have no symptoms other than the pain.

Also, my supply is almost gone in my left breast...it has always been lower, but its significanly lower now, to the point that dd will nurse on that through the tiny letdown and then want the right breast. I can tell by her swallowing that the letdown is not what it used to be...she used to suck-swallow and now its suck-suck-swallow. The right breast is suck-swallow, still.

Thoughts?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Weird tenderness--X post

How long has it been going on? Maybe you have a bleb (milk blister). Look for a white dot on the nipple. It kind of feels like a plugged duct, but it's right in the nipple and there's usually a hard spot behind the nipple. They hurt so bad!!!

How obvious is the white spot usually? Because it does feel a bit like a plugged duct, but its small, and right behind the nipple. But I don't see an obvious white spot (inspecting my nipple right now ).

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

Sometimes not very obvious

How long has it been hurting? I would recommend a hot shower and nursing right afterwards.

I just had one. It started as a plugged duct higher in the breast, and then it moved to right behind the nipple. After another feeding or two it has cleared up but there is still a small white spot on the nipple.

Erin, are you feeling any better today?

Maybe a tiny bit, but its still there. It didn't seem to be quite as tender when she nursed though...much more bearable. I think I might see a white spot, but then I think I might be wanting it be so simple so badly that I might be imagining it . Thanks for checking in. I am going to give it a bit longer, and then call the doctor. I have to go into see someone sometime soon because my jaw is killing me. Not sure what this is all about but I can barely open and close my mouth. I am having a really good run of bad luck becuase it hurts like crazy to puke...and I have been doing too much of that lately. Oh, woe is me !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly