Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often does a 5 month old eat?

Default How often does a 5 month old eat?

Hi...

I have a five month old baby and I was wondering how often she should be eating. She has not started solids yet as our peds suggested that we wait until she was six months old. He said that the earlier that we start solids the bigger chance for allergies, diabeties and obesity.

In any case - she eats between 5 and 6 times in a day/night. She starts out in the monring at about 7am-ish then we go from there. Her last feeding is usually about 10- 11pm at night.

She has always just eaten on one side at a time - never on both sides during a feeding. Lately she has been very fussy and pulling away when I try to feed her even though I know she's hungry. If i give her a bottle of EBM then she sucks it down no problem. However I try not to do this since I dont want my supply to diminish and I dont want her to get used to a bottle all the time.

I haven't pumped in a while because my body got used to her feeding schedule. I also have 3 year old triplets at home so it's not really very easy for me to steal away time to pump.

I just feel like I;m doing something wrong these days. Help!!!

Default Re: How often does a 5 month old eat?

Hi, welcome to the forum
    I understand that you have a question about feeding; and what I have heard is that 5 month olds get really distracted, and end up doing alot of their actually feding during the quieter evening hours. Instead of saying to yourself, my child needs to eat blankety-blank amounts of times per day, just count diapers. If you are seeing a minimum of 5 to 6 wet disposable diapers and you still have some weight gain, your doing just fine!

thanks for the welcome!

and thanks for the advice. she seems to be gaining weight. at our last dr visit a week ago she was 15, 9 and she was 8, 2 when she was born.

so she's pretty much doubled her birth weight which as i understand it needs to happen by their 6th month.

it would be a good thing to say she gets "distracted". she likes to eat for a few minutes then she pulls away and starts chewing/sucking on her hand and fingers or talking to me - then she starts eating again. eventually she finishes - but sometimes it takes a while!

Helen

my baby is four months and he eats about 5-6 times also. i have friends with babies the same age who eat fifteen times a day so i think every baby is just different. their babies also only eat for about five minutes where mine likes to take his time and will go for 20- 30 minutes.

Sounds like our lo's are alike! My lo is 5 months, weighed 8lbs 1oz at birth and 15lbs 6oz as of a few weeks ago. She eats about 6 times a day, one side per feeding. She's been very distracted during feedings the last few weeks too. Whats worked best for us is limiting the distractions - nursing in a quiet room with the lights off. Hope that helps a bit... This is a trying stage