Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just feeding baby off my plate??

Arrow Just feeding baby off my plate??

Hello, Kaylee is 6 1/2 months and we started her on solids a couple of weeks ago. Mostley vegies in a baby jar number ones, as I previously thought that is what they were to start on. Well now everything I'm reading seems to indicate there really is no "right exact way" to start a 6month old breast fed baby, being that most of her intake is breastmilk and that she is 6 months. So wouldn't it be ok to just mash up whatever I am eating and feed it to her, as long as it is healthy of corse, like yesterday I had chicken breast broccoli and califlower(steamed) and I just mashed that up for her - she loved it. But then today we had spaghetti and I didn't feel very confident in feeding her that?? So I broke out the gerber greenbeans in a jar! lol Anybody have an answer for me on this issue? Thank you.

~Alissa
    wife to TEd
    mommy to Kayleen - 6 mo
    Last edited by Alissa; March 22nd, 2006 at 12:49 AM.

Default Re: Just feeding baby off my plate??

So wouldn't it be ok to just mash up whatever I am eating and feed it to her, as long as it is healthy of corse, like yesterday I had chicken breast broccoli and califlower(steamed) and I just mashed that up for her - she loved it.
    Sounds wonderful! Of course it's okay Many of us don't give solid foods until baby can just eat table foods (within reason, of course). I've personally never liked the idea of offering canned foods to my babies -- mainly because of the mess-factor.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work, Mama!

My son just turned one year old last week and I have never fed him jarred baby food. It's so easy just to mash up a sweet potato, or puree some cooked carrots, etc., plus it is much better for them. I always just feed him what we are eating, and sometimes I make things just for him. For example, I cook butternut squash, add some sage and a little butter to it, and then sometimes add pasta stars or shredded chicken as well. He loves it.

Sounds like your insticts are right on!
    It makes sense that babies start to like what parents eat.
    As long as you stay away from high allergen foods, your baby is going to fun experimenting with food.

Some of our favorite pictures are of the babies eating cut spagetti! I have found that they have fun trying to pick it up and make a really fun mess great for pictures. They eat a bit too.

Only one of our children had trouble with sauce, but I make my sauce rather spicy. LOL

I think you save so much money too by just feeding them a bit of shredded or mashed whatever is off your plate.
    There is no extra buying things, garbage or recycle to deal with.

Our daughter didn't eat any canned baby foods! She got what we were eating if it wasn't a high allergy food or she got homemade baby food from the freezer. Just puree some extra food like broccoli or chicken and freeze it in ice cube trays. Pull out a cube and microwave (being sure to cool off properly)! You have the right idea! Some of the allergy foods I remember are:
    Tomatoes (so spaghetti sauce is out)
    anything with nuts
    dairy at first
    citrus fruits
    strawberries
    wheat
    These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head!

Cool! Thanks everyone. We have been having so much fun feeding her. I think it's more fun and less messy feeding her our food. And like Lynn said, it helps them to start liking what we eat. It was so funny today bc I was steaming some broccoli -her favorite food - for her today, and she was crying bc she was hungry. Since the broccoli wouldn't hurry up and cook, I looked in the fridge to see if there was anything soft I could give her to hold her over - the only thing I found was prunes, so I tried it. Wouldn't you know, she LOVED it. So when the broccoli was done I gave her a spoonful and the look on her face was unforgettable! She threw her had back spit out the broc. and began to scream, (she's never done that before) so I said OK, prunes it is! So when I fed her those, she loved them so much she was laughing while eating them. I thought Prunes were a weird thing to like but I guess they are sweet. Babies are so funny how they can go from terribly upset to extremely happy in less than a second's time!!!

Smile Re: Just feeding baby off my plate??

I am picturing her throwing her head back and spitting out the broccoli and laughing my head off.