Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: formula supplement?

Default formula supplement?

I am going to a wedding for 2 nights in about 3 weeks and will be leaving my daughter with my mom. She will be 7 weeks when I have to leave her. I have been exclusively bf'ing and have been pumping everyday trying to build up a stash for my mom to feed her with. I barely make enough for a single feeding each day. I am afraid that I am not going to pump enough for the entire weekend. If worse comes to worse and she needs to be fed some formula, what is the best kind? and could she get sick from all of a sudden having it? any suggestions for what i should do?

Default Re: formula supplement?

Hi Diana,
    Is there any way possible that you could take baby with you? If you'll be part of the wedding party, perhaps you could recruit a teenage friend of the family to hold your baby during the ceremony?

As far as formula goes -- If I choose to supplement, what is the best formula to use? However, suddenly introducing artificial milk can cause issues with your baby. It's possible that your baby will show an adverse reaction to it.

My best suggestion is what I mentioned first -- take baby with you! At 7 weeks old, she's still very portable! And then neither one of you will miss out on each other.
    Last edited by LLLCarol; March 22nd, 2006 at 03:58 PM.

Hello, Diana!

Is there any chance you could take baby with? Maybe have someone else come along and stay with her? At least that way you could nurse when you're not involved all all the activities surrounding the wedding (at minimum, at night). If it's workable, that would probably be your best possible solution. You would need less total ounces of expressed breastmilk, you and your baby would be able to reconnect between activities, and you would be far less likely to encounter any problems from infrequent emptying of the breasts (such as plugged ducts and mastitis).

LLL Leaders are not medical professionals, and our expertise does not encompass the different types of formula, therefore I, personally, couldn't recommend a specific brand. I'm sorry. Other posters are welcome to chime in with their experience, though. I can tell you that if you are planning to supplement with formula, it would be wise to test it out beforehand and watch for reaction.

If you have any further questions, do let us know!

I third the suggestion of finding a way that your baby could come with you. It would be SO much easier for you and your caregiver. Not to mention that two days without mom is an eternity as far as a 7 week old is concerned. Not trying to be dramatic, just being (brutally) honest. <<<<hugz>>>>

If taking your baby is absolutely not an option, then it certainly would be best to try out formula beforehand to assure that your baby isn't allergic/sensitive. That would be a horrible thing for your caregiver to find out on her own!

thanks for the responses. i would love to bring her with me and am trying to figure out a way to do it. it is my brother in laws wedding and i am speaking both at the church and at the wedding and don't know anyone that i would feel comfortable leaving her with (they are very heavy drinkers). we have a rehearsal dinner the evening before and she is colicky so i wouldn't be able to attend that if i do go- that's her witching hour!

i don't know. i am very torn. i don't want to give her formula nor do i want to jepordize (sp) our breastfeeding flow- we are really getting the hang of it!

BUT i was also kind of looking forward to having a bit of a break. maybe i'll cut it short or something.

anyway, thanks again for the responses. i was just wondering about formula in case thats what i wind up having to do.

diana

Have you considered bringing a trusted family friend? Maybe even an older teen? Someone who could stay behind at the hotel while you enjoy the festivities?