Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby was taking breastmilk from bottle, but not anymore

Default Baby was taking breastmilk from bottle, but not anymore

I wasn't sure which forum to post this so I thought I would try this one and the pumping one. I have a 13 week old and she is receiving breastmilk exclusively. I went back to work at 5 weeks and we had no problem going from breast to bottle and back again until about 3 weeks ago. She was eating 2 bottles with 2.5-3.0 oz and I was breastfeeding her in between, on my lunch break. She started refusing the occasional bottle, and now she will only eat 0.5-1 oz from the bottle. She screams at my husband when he tries to get the bottle nipple anywhere near her mouth. Sometimes I can get home to feed her if she won't finish her bottle and she always latches right on and eats. I really want to continue the situation we have, but I can't keep running home from work to breastfeed when she won't finish her bottle and I am afraid that the only solution is to bottle feed exclusively, but that's not what I want. She eats every 2 hours, night and day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Baby was taking breastmilk from bottle, but not anymore

if she is eating alot at night she might just do fine with no bottle during the day. Some babies do that ,eat all night and then they will not eat at day care or for daddy.
    could your hubby bring her to your work? that might be quicker?
    IT will get beter as the baby gets bigger.

i would definently say to just keep trying. maybe you could try a different bottle. what temp is the milk, maybe it's just not close enough to your body temp? babies are smart, and they like you the best, my ds does also, he eats like crzy all night but hardly at all during the day. but if you look at the big picture, he is still getting enough all together. another idea- maybe if dad has her hold a shirt you wore while eating, she could still be smelling you? keep it up!

Congratulations on continuing to nurse and provide your milk for your dd!

What the PP was suggesting is that maybe dd is Reverse-Cycling. Sometimes babies who are separated from mom during the day will not eat as much EBM, thereby waiting for the "real thing"! They call this reverse cycling because it seems to be the reverse of what some bb are doing: sleeping longer at night without a feeding and then feeding at regular intervals during the day. If dd is feeding lots at night, and you are nursing her in the morning before work, on your lunch break, and then in the evening, that may be just enough for her! Sometimes RC is tough on working moms, but it often makes life a little easier for some...especially if you co-sleep!

So how have things been going since your original post?

HTH!

Default Re: Baby was taking breastmilk from bottle, but not anymore--update and need help

My daughter doesn't seem to be doing anything on a regular basis. I would really like to talk personally to a LLL leader, but I literally live in the middle of nowhere and don't know where to find one. She was colicky, and originally wanted to eat/suck all the time. The doctor and LC told us to try and stretch out her feedings to 1.5-2 hours so that she would get the hind milk too, and to give her a pacifier to soothe her when she wanted to suck in between. That seemed to work great...but now she only nurses to eat. She is definitely not a cuddler--when she is tired she just wants to be left alone, she rarely nurses to sleep, when she is done nursing, she is done, and I can't "encourage her to nurse more frequently" because she screams if I put her to the breast and she isn't hungry. Even if she will be hungry in 5 minutes. She took one bottle last week, on Thurs. (today is Mon.) and I don't work Fri-Sun, so she nurses exclusively. (She was taking 2-3 bottles/day) This weekend we took a little trip and she cried the entire time, was up every 1.5 hours and wouldn't eat hardly at all during the day. But last week, even though she wasn't eating much during the day, she would cluster feed at night (I have been trying to let her eat even between the 2 hour period, just to see if it would still encourage her sleep longer at night) and it worked--she was sleeping 4-6 hours at a stretch, a total blessing for me! That only lasted a couple nights though. This has happened before and she always seems to fall back into the waking every couple of hours.

I have heard several different things about our situation. One is that she should be feeding on demand and not on a schedule, but the schedule worked great for us, at least until I went back to work. Another is that if she feeds on demand, and I have lots of milk, she only gets the foremilk and not the hindmilk and doesn't stay full as long (I nurse on one side per feeding and switch for the next, to help). Another is that if I don 't wait 2 hours, she is putting undigested milk on top of partially digested milk and this might upset her tummy.

Also, I don't cosleep. I can't sleep at all with her even in the room. She sleeps in the next room over and I hear her start to fuss immediately, but she is a really noisy sleeper and I am a light sleeper, so we had to move to that arrangement, even though I wanted to cosleep to start with.

Okay...now that I have probably confused all of you...please help. I am just getting so much information and I don't know how to sort it out.

I am so sorry you seem to be struggling with what to do with your daughter! You are right, it would be helpful to speak with an LLL Leader in person. Have you checked into finding a local Leader? Here is a link. Please let me know if you have trouble finding someone. We can certainly help to hook you up with a Leader as close to where you live as possible. Forgive me, I don't have much time tonight, but I will write more later.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

I don't remember which forum it was, but someone told me to try the playtex nurser bottles and I did and hurray, it worked great. She ate 2.5 oz at her first feeding yesterday and 3.5 at her second. Maybe it was just a nipple preference, but I will give it through today to make sure. Hubby said she just sucked it right down without a problem at all. As for a LLL leader locally--I tried to call one 70 miles from here but the guy that answered didn't know anything about it???? So I have been afraid to try another number, but the closest one listed on the LLL site is 200 miles away. I don't know--sometimes I just feel like I am being self-conscious and making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. DH says I am just doing the "worrying new mom" bit sometimes. It just really bothers me when she isn't eating. Oh--I wish I were a SAHM sometimes. Anyway...thanks for the help!

erin

Erin,
    Sometimes it helps to call another number. Even though the leader is VERY far away (Montana is a biggg state!), she may have the numbers of other Leaders or IBCLC's whom you could call. Sometimes numbers aren't always available. Leaders are the best way to hook up with nearer leaders.

So glad dd liked the other bottle you purchased. This must be a huge relief for you!

Hi Erin,
    I just wanted to get back to you about a few things you posted. If you have found a Leader to speak with in person, that is great. If not, I can continue to try to address some of your concerns. I thought you might be interested to know that LLL does have a 24-hour help line. The number is listed in the link I provided. If you call that number you will get a real-live Leader on the phone. There is no-telling where she lives, as Leaders every where volunteer for this job, but it is one way to reach someone. She may have some more suggestions for finding a local Leader as well.

The doctor and LC told us to try and stretch out her feedings to 1.5-2 hours so that she would get the hind milk too, and to give her a pacifier to soothe her when she wanted to suck in between.

If she is "nursing all the time" she will get the hindmilk! It is inevitable!

She is definitely not a cuddler--when she is tired she just wants to be left alone, she rarely nurses to sleep, when she is done nursing, she is done, and I can't "encourage her to nurse more frequently" because she screams if I put her to the breast and she isn't hungry.

Some moms with "high-need" babies have found that they do often want to be close, just not nursing. Could you try wearing her around the house in a sling or carrier after feeding? She might like this.

(I have been trying to let her eat even between the 2 hour period, just to see if it would still encourage her sleep longer at night) and it worked--she was sleeping 4-6 hours at a stretch, a total blessing for me!

Good for you! The idea of "block feeding" to encourage the baby to take more hindmilk is so this: offer left breast anytime baby wants to nurse in 2 hour time period. For the next 2 hours, only offer the right side-but as often as she wants it. Then back to left again. Some moms find they have to go for longer blocks of time, 3 hours or more. This is usually only necessary in cases of extreme oversupply though.

Another is that if I don 't wait 2 hours, she is putting undigested milk on top of partially digested milk and this might upset her tummy.

I am not sure I have heard this before! Anyone else?

Many moms find that their babies go through periods of wakefulness and longer sleep stretches. That is very common and normal during the early months (and often even in the later months as well!) It is wonderful that she has a mom who is willing to meet her needs day and night! She will sleep longer stretches-I promise! Hang in there!

Has this helped you at all with some of your concerns? Please let me know if you need further information. Take care!

Some moms with "high-need" babies have found that they do often want to be close, just not nursing. Could you try wearing her around the house in a sling or carrier after feeding? She might like this.

I have tried wearing her in the house. Sometimes we are successful, sometimes not. And she doesn't like to cuddle at all--I can't even get her to fall asleep in my arms. That really bums me out but it took us almost 2 months to figure out that if we just lie her down and lie next to her but don't touch her, she will fall asleep on her own. I just sometimes really wanna cuddle--isn't that part of the fun of having a baby? I have never even heard of a baby that won't cuddle/rock to sleep for me. The sitter can usually get her to rock to sleep--I don't know if she is just more persistent than me or what, but sometimes I feel like I must be failing at some part of mothering her.

The bottle thing is going better--we switched bottles and she ate 10 oz that the sitter fed her yesterday (she was eating 4 during the day). I thinks she might be growing though cuz she ate contantly last night. Thanks for your help!