Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning pump at work

Default cleaning pump at work

I have just returned to work and I am pumping 2-3 times per day. In between pumping sessions, I have been rinsing my pump parts with warm water and drying them. When I get home in the evening, I wash everything with soap and water and then sterilize them. Should I be washing with soap and water at work too? Sterilizing at work? I want to make pumping as easy as possible, but also want to keep everything clean. Any words of advice? Thanks!

Default Re: cleaning pump at work

Thanks for asking this question-- I was wondering the same thing. I have been washing my pump parts with soap and warm water once a day, rinsing the other times, and sterilizing in a microwave bag about once a week.I am also trying to keep things as simple as possible. I haven't has any problems yet, but I am probably skimping too muh on the syerilizatiob routine... What do other moms do?

I've been wondering about this too. I just moved to a new office where I don't have easy access to a sink and am wondering what my new routine should be. Previously I would wash or rinse after each time since I was at a sink anyway. In my new office I started using those Medela wipes, which I really like.

I leave the pump at work and just carry the milk, freezer packs, and bottles home. For more regular cleaning with soap and water I guess I'll either brazen it out and clean the parts at a public sink in front of lots of undergraduate students (which would be a good role model kind of thing but still makes me a wee bit uncomfortable) or bring the pump parts home every couple of days. I only pump on one side (and type with the other hand ) so I wouldn't have to remember every day.

I am glad to hear someone tried those microwave bags and thought they worked. I thought they seemed expensive so I didn't get them.

It sounds to me like all of our routines are pretty similar and that they are sufficient. I hope a LLLeader chimes in though.

I'm glad I'm not the only who doesn't sterilize obsessively!! I've often wondered about this before as well. I pump 3 times a day at work and I rinse and dry my pump parts, then I wash them in really hot water and soap at home at night. And just like you, about once a week, I sterilize everything with a pump/bottle sterilizer. I honestly don't think that we need to always use soap and hot water and a sterilizer. I don't sterilize my daughter's plastic cereal bowls or her spoons--I just wash them with soap and water. So, unless I hear otherwise I'm just going to continue doing what I do...

I just wipe out the parts between pumpings (2 or 3 x/day) and keep them in my cooler bag after use. Then I wash them in the dishwaher @ home. To me a public bathroom sink seems way too dirty!!!!

Many mothers run into this problem. Some rinse their pump parts in hot water, or hot water with soap, in between pumpings at work. Just about everyone I know brings them home every night to run things through the dishwasher.

Some mothers even keep their pump parts in the fridge/cooler while they are at work, since they aren't getting them perfectly clean in between pumping sessions. They feel that by keeping them in the fridge, they are reducing even further the risk of bacteria and viruses growing on their parts. However, these moms usually run their pump parts under hot water for a minute or two to warm them up before use. It's no fun pumping with cold parts!!

Of course, in a perfect world, we'd all have time to completely wash the pump parts in between each use. It's what the manufacturers recommend.

Another option is to purchase extra parts, and use a clean set each time you pump. Then, it's not an option. Cost is an issue with this, though. There are many ways to get extra parts for your pump - many LC's carry them, some hospital breastfeeding clinics, or you can look on the manufacturer's website to find a dealer in your area.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I pump twice at work and use a clean set of horns each time. I assemble my horns and bottles at home in the morning before I go to work. It's easier and I do not have to worry about Sterilizing until I get home. When I get home I give them a quick wash and throw them in the dishwasher. If cost is an issue think about buying one horn each pay period. I bought mine at BabiesRus and Target also carries them. If your store does not have them ask if they can order them. Hope this helps!!!

I bought extra horns so I can just throw all the ones I've used into a gallon baggie and run them through the dishwasher at night!

I don't know if it's not allowed to post a link from another message board, but I asked the same question on breastfeeding.com: http://www.breastfeeding.com/cgi-bin...c;f=4;t=001341

I went back to work on Wednesday and have been pumping in my office and then I take the bag to the bathroom and rinse them out. It's a pain and I think I'll get the medela wipes and try those.

We have thrush so I am sterilizing everything (her bottles, pacifiers too) in boiling water every night anyhow, not sure what I'll do when I finally get rid of the thrush. It's a slow road to recovery...

Cynthia

Question Re: cleaning pump at work

I rinse between pumping sessions and keep the parts refrigerated for the next use. I don't have a dishwasher so I just wash at nite with hot water and soap. Once a week I boil them. So far no problems. Do microwave bags take place of boiling?
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama