Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning pump at work

Default Re: cleaning pump at work

Yes, some companies make bags that you can put pump parts and bottles into, then microwave them. It sterilizes them, and can replace boiling. I've never used them, but apparently, when using these microwave sterilzinng bags, you don't run the risk of melting parts, like you would when boiling on the stove.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I used to wash between pumping sessions, until another mom told me to just put the parts in the fridge witht he milk at work. I do this now and wash in hot soapy water every night. They go in the dishwasher a couple times a week. You know what is strange...I used to have like 5 sets of hords and membranes and valves, now I have 2 or three. I think the breast pump fairy stole them.

How do you clean your membranes, and valves. I put them in a tea cup of VERY HOT soapy water.

I have been pumping 3-4 x day for about 5 1/2 months. For my morning and afternoon pumping sessions I rinse with hot soapy water after each pumping, dry and was wipeing down the parts with the lysol kitchen disinfecting wipes (cheaper than the medela wipes) but now I am using that new Chlorox Anywhere Antibacteria/Disinfecting Spray (safe for use on bottles, pacifiers, chew toys, etc...) and air dry at my cube (I have a drying rack set up in one of my overhead units). It takes me about 3-5 min to clean everything. At my midday pumping session (lunch break) I wash the parts then use a microwave sterilizer ($12.99 @ Babies R' Us) that I keep stored in a drawer under the microwave in the kitchen (cheaper than having to replace the bags) while I eat my lunch.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I use the Medela Quick Clean wipes to clean out my accessories at work and then sterilize at home using the microclean bag; but the bags do end up being expensive so... I find it interesting that a lot of people don't sterilize after each use - it's like I just found more time in the day. I'm so glad I read this post!

i wash mine with a bottlebrush and hot soapy water after every pump session. I have 2 sets. I run mine in the dishwahser every day or so. on the anti-bacteria and sani-rise settings.

at work I wash with soap and water, but I dont like the soap at work, I think it might be leaving a film... so I bought a mini bottle of dish detergant.

I was told to use fragrence free and NOT the antibacterial soap... I am having a hard time finding that.

I take a little container that fits my pump parts to work. After I pump I take the pump apart and leave the parts in the dish (dirty). Right before I go to pump again, I squirt some dishwashing liquid (kept at my desk) on the parts, in the ladies room, I run hot water over the parts and giggle them around a few times dumping the water and rinsing about 3 times (for the soap to get around all the parts and rinse away. Then, I take each part and rinse it under the hot water to remove all soap residue. I dry and assemle the pump again for use. This process takes bout 5 extra minutes to do and since I am washing it right before use, I feel that it is as clean as it can be for work. I have not put my parts in the dishwasher, but I have occasionaly sterilized the pump.

Wink Re: cleaning pump at work

The new Clorox hard surface spray has become my best friend!! If I don't have time to use the Medela microwave bag in between pumpings, then I rinse with hot water, spray with the Clorox, let sit 2 min then rinse again. I also spray sink and faucet with the spray before using to wash.. (dirty hands turn on the water before they're clean...right??) Okay, so I'm a little obsessive!!!

Alright, I confess. I don't clean my pump parts between pump sessions, but I take them home each night a wash them thoroughly. Ds is 11 months old and for the last 6 months, I have pumped twice a day, at 11:30 and 4:00. I have a limited amount of time to pump and taking even more time to wash everything is impossible. I have always read that breastmilk can sit out at room temperature safely for up to 10 hours. I have also read that there are properties in breastmilk that actually kill off bacteria. So, I have always gone with the theory that pump parts can certainly sit out for less than half that time.

I pump three times daily when I work. I bring a mini bottle of dish soap with me and just stick it in my pumping bag. It's so quick to just rinse, put a bit of soap on the equipment, rub it around and rinse. I boil them at home for about 5 minutes on the nights I work just to get them nice and clean.

I have a question about the Medela wipes. I bought them to take with me on a road trip and when I went to clean my pump parts I realized that you can't get the wipes down inside all the parts--So what's the point if you can only wipe the horn?