Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When will he get more efficient?

Default When will he get more efficient?

My ds is 5 weeks old now and takes 30-45 minutes sometimes to finish a meal. It's not that he's a weak or slow sucker either, he usually nurses vigourously and only at the end slows down when he's starting to fall asleep. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's a "little tongue tied" as the pedi called it? He's gaining fine and has plenty of diapers so we didn't do anything for it. I've read that babies get more efficient as they get older. So for BTDT moms, when did your babies start finishing their meals in 5-15 minutes?

Default Re: When will he get more efficient?

Well, we're at 4 and a half months. When we started, DD would nurse for an hour. Now, first thing in the morning she still takes about 45 minutes. But, other times, it's anywhere from 15-30 depending.

My son got way more efficient around 5 - 6 weeks adjusted age (he was a preemie.) He went from taking at least an hour to draining a breast in 10 min. Yay! He still eats often, but at least each session is shorter!

I dont remember my DS2 is 8.5 mo now and he is a quick nurer but nurses often, too. The average fo us is about ever hour for a few minutes (enough to get one let down) in the evenings he cluster feeds more though.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The reason behind the length of time isn't ineffiecency- its about a growth spurt. 6 weeks (give or take) is prime time for cluster feeding or longgggg slow sessions! Baby's getting PLENTY out, trust us! Your doing just great!

Not kidding and certainly not to discourage, about 12 months.

My daughter always liked to savor her meals. About 6 to 8 months she would nurse for 20-30 minutes at each session. But as a newborn, about 45-60 minutes. By one year year we were down to 10-15 minutes. Now at 19 months if we make it to 10 minutes it is a "marathon" session.

I remember one rainy afternoon I nursed her through an entire Lifetime movie (2 hours!). Believe it or not, it is a really v. fond memory now.

DS started getting more efficient at about 2 mos. He previously took about 45 mins per feeding. I complained to my lc about this at about 2.5 mos, as he was still sometimes taking 30-45 mins and I wasn't sure how this would work to feed him twice in the morning when I returned to work. She watched him feed and said he wasn't actively eating the whole time. She told me to let him feed 10-15 mins on one side and then on the other side only as long as he was actively sucking/swallowing. (My ped was of the same opinion.) This really helped him get even more efficient IMO. We're now down to about 15-30 mins / feeding at 3.5 mos. I can't remember the last 45 min feeding session!