Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Swaddling-update

Default Swaddling-update

I had posted early and asked if swaddling really worked. DS has never liked to sleep in crib or bassinet and also had colic which appears to be diminishing or perhaps I'm better at knowing his cues and putting him to sleep. In the past I swaddled but DS would figure out how to get his arms out. I also hated the idea - seems unnatural. Well, for the sake of trying to get him to sleep in his crib and take longer naps, I decided to give swaddling a good try. Received some testimonials from moms on this forum that swaddling works for them. Well, I honed up on my swaddling skills and the result is that I have been able to get him to sleep in his crib a couple of times and when swaddled he does tend to nap longer. Here's the new dilemma: is there such as thing as being too reliant on swaddling? I remember reading that there is a time, when it is not recommended that you swaddle (SIDS risk?).

Default Re: Swaddling-update

Good question. I am also wondering too if I can REswaddle...lol...meaning, one of the twins does not sleep well for the past few wks and I was wondering if I should swaddle him too. However, he is almost 7 months.

I fully swaddled Dylan for sleeping untill he was around 5 mo old. I gradually started loosening it after that. The blanket that I swaddled with is now his "blankie". He loved being swaddled. Joslyn likes to be swaddled but as long as one arm can be out for her to suck on. I think it totally depends on the baby. I don't think there's such a thing as being too reliant on swaddling. As for the "unnatural" feeling, thing about how they are in the womb. They are really squished up and so that's what they are used to. It makes them feel safe.

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I agree with the pp. I don't think you can be too reliant on swaddling. We swaddled our DD until about 7-8 months and from what I have read on other boards some mothers swaddled until much longer. I think it all depends on what you child wants to do.

My baby is 10 weeks old and I still swaddle him. Sometimes he'll take naps without the swaddling, but he always needs it at bedtime. I've read in different places that it's fine to swaddle as long as the baby is willing. I bought an actual swaddling blanket that holds closed with velcro. Some have told me it's too much like a straight jacket, but Josh doesn't seem to mind at all. He's even able to get an arm out sometimes. As far as SIDS, I've never heard of a link to swaddling. I did find a website that had a very interesting explanation for SIDS, though. Click here if you're interested. Good luck!