Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding burnout????

Default Breastfeeding burnout????

Anyone getting that feeling? I have been bf for almost 8weeks now and I have still continued to fight with this thrush for the last month or so so I think that has something to do with it. But I am just soooo tired of always bf but wouldnt want to feed him formula. Any suggestions on how to make it not feel like such a chore?

Right now I feel like all I do is feed him and then he goes back to bed. Maybe a growth spurt? I'll also mention that he does have a cold and had been a little bit more attached to me than normal.

Default Re: Breastfeeding burnout????

I've felt like that a time or two (or three or four)
    What has been the hardest to deal with for me is how time consuming/demanding it is and sometimes I feel the loss of freedom. I did not nurse my older two so this is my first nursing experience (dd is 4 mos).

When I feel like that, all I have to do is look at her precious face while she's nursing and know that I'm doing the best thing for her. It's such a neat feeling to konw that I am nourishing her and she is growing and thriving. I know I wouldn't want to do anything else and all those feelings melt away. But they do come from time to time and I remind myself of those things all over again. Also, once your baby is a bit older I think you will feel more freedom. I have just in the last month, I've noticed that we are more comfortable nursing in public, etc... Hang in there mom!!

I think everyone feels that way here and there...just like sometimes I wish I could give my kids away for an hour or so. It is hard, especially in the beginning. It does however get easier, and when baby starts interacting with you it can be fun! Nothing is better than laying your baby on your lap and getting ready to nurse watching the excitement on their face as they flail their arms and legs giggling. I love seeing my sons face when he knows it is time to eat!

Sarah

Some mothers find that if you use a sling, it helps to comfort baby and keep baby close while having your mobility at the same time. You might also practice nursing in the sling. It can help with not feeling like you are sitting in the same spot, always nursing.

Another thing that I hear some mothers say is that they like to read during the times that they are nursing, especially the long nursings, that keeps them occupied and it's great to get the reading in before babies become very mobile.

I think that every nursing mother feels the "burnout" every now and then, whether they nurse for 6 weeks or 6 months or 3 years. You know that you are giving your baby what he needs and knowing that will usually overcome those feelings if you take it one feeding at a time.

Smile Re: Breastfeeding burnout????

My boy is almost 10 mo. and I am soaking up every moment of his feeds now. He, too, flails arms and yelps with excitement when he sees it's time to eat. And that little ear print left on my arm. And milk dribbling out of his mouth when he pulls off asleep. And sometimes he looks up mid-feed and I can see the smile in his little eyes even though he's still latched on.

Now, if I could have told myself 9 months ago that today those would be my favorite moments, I would have received great encouragement. As a newborn, until about 2 months, he was nursing every two hours for about an hour at a time. So, I was feeding at least 10-11 hours a day. I said to my hero lactation hero at our hospital, "How much longer will my life be like this?" I truly couldn't see past it--even then though I nursed him thankful that he was healthy and growing and knowing that I would continue because I felt it was best for both of us.

Gradually, feedings spread out and became much faster. What a change of life when feedings were at three hours!! I felt like a new person!! He's now nursing about 5 times a day for about 10-15ish minutes -- how things can change. I truly would have never believed what an efficient little feeder I would have. I tell you all this to say this --- things well get easier! It's been such a blessing to me to be able to still feed whenever he's hungry -- no matter where we are or what I happen to have forgotten at home, I'm always armed with milk! And all those things I wrote at the beginning...well, I think 30 years from now, those will still be some of my all-time most treasured moments of life. All the best to you.

I agree that we all go through that at least a few times before things start to look better. ds is almost 7 months and at this point I LOVE being able to nurse him. But when i was tired, and sleep deprived, and having to pump at work and then nurse in the middle of the night believe me, it was not that high up on the list of fun things to do.

Do find something you can do for yourself while you nurse. I catch up on reading or watching a show that I would other wise miss. Also, we have a sling and it has seriously been a life saver for keeping him close (esp when he was a little younger wanted to be on me at all times) and I was able to do things with him right in tow. Plus, even with how big he is now (20+lbs) he is most comfortable in that (not stroller, baby bjorn, etc.).

Don't give up, the first few months can be pretty tough but they will get better. I gave up after one month with my first and I still regret it.

Yes it really has many ups and downs. My ds is 13 months he still nurses 7to8 times, sometimes they are quick and sometimes they are long. I guess it depends, but I do remember feeling burned out a time or two at first, now I find that I just want him to stay my baby a little longer, but he continues to grow more and more into a big boy These times are the best in our lives as mothers to our prcious gifts