Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where's my milk?

Unhappy Where's my milk?

This is so strange... but my 4 month old dd has been nursing just fine (except for not wanting my right breast but for only a minute) and then overnight last night when she went to nurse, I didn't have letdown (and I always have a strong letdown). This happened twice in the middle of the night and then after that I've been having letdown, but they are weak. My breasts are still soft when I have letdown where as before, the milk would rush down and they would be firm until she nursed for a few min. She'll nurse vigorously on BOTH sides (unusual) but it seems to be because she isn't getting satisfied. Even on my left side, which is always so full when I have letdown because she nurses so well on that side. It *seems* I don't have as much milk all the sudden. This has been all day today. She hasn't slowed down nursing so where would my milk go, and why, or is it something else? I do not pump...I hate pumping.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm worried!
    Tracy

Default Re: Where's my milk?

Hi Tracy It's possible that you simply did not feel your milk let down last night. The absence of feeling your milk let down or the feeling not being as strong as it was previously are not indicators of a supply issue (case in point: Sometimes I feel my milk let down, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it's stronger than at other times too).

When baby nurses, do you notice her sucks going from a more quick suck-suck-suck sequence to a longer suck-suck-swallow? Does she appear to be taking long, drawn out sucks for a portion of the feeding? Is she appear to be upset while nursing?

Are you taking any medications, have you been ill or are you dehydrated? Do you have an health issues at all?

At this point, milk supply depends almost entirely on breast milk removal from the breast so it would be pretty unlikely for you milk supply to just dwindle unexpectedly and without a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    At this point, milk supply depends almost entirely on breast milk removal from the breast so it would be pretty unlikely for you milk supply to just dwindle unexpectedly and without a reason.
    Hi Carol, and thanks. I wouldn't think so either, which is why it doesn't make sense. But there is a marked difference, not just in letdown but in my breast, or so it feels like it, when letdown is occurring and when she's nursing. To answer your questions, when letdown happens, yes, she's sucking fine and you can tell she's getting milk. But she's done much quicker than before, cries, and ready to switch sides to get more (after only a couple minutes). That's normal on my right side, but never my left. It's usually ubundant and leaking while she's nursing on the right, but not now.

I have been just a little under the weather, nothing major. Just a bit of a sore/scratchy throat, very tired, and a little bit of sinud drainage. Maybe that's the culprit? Hopefully it will be different tonight. She doesn't seem starved, so that's good!

Everything is back to normal today, Carol. Strange!! It must have been because I was feeling under the weather. I learn more about breastfeeding every day!!
    Thanks again!

Illness can do it, that's for sure! I'm glad to hear that everything is back to normal now though. What a relief, eh?