Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stool question/supply issue

Question stool question/supply issue

Hi ladies,

I am hoping you can help me out. DD born last Friday, 7lbs 10 3/4 oz, dropped to 6lbs 10oz, then after neonatologist suggested supplimenting with formula after 20 min of nursing on each side to just get her weight up so she could go home with me on Tuesday, dr suggested continuing on Tuesday then stop and just nurse like crazy.

Ok, issue #1 her stools are not the yellow mustardy seedy looking, it is mucousy and greenish, but she goes nearly every diaper change. (I still have heck of time seeing the pee in the diaper. She is alert, color good, roof of mouth is moist, skin like it should be.

Issue #2, if the stools means she isn't getting the hind milk how do I make sure she does? I had been nursing in the cradle hold, but started today using the football hold as she seems to get a better latch and nurses tons better.

She gained only an ounce since Tuesday morning, then since yesterday when we weighed her this morning she lost .05, but that was before I switched to the football hold. How long does it take for your milk to catch up with positioning corrections etc....?

Thank you all for any help you can provide. We are not at a critical juncture yet, but I don't want to even go there. This is my fifth child and I have never been successful at exclusive bf, with last child (2 yrs ago) nursed for 4 months but had to suppliment the whole time as well.

Default Re: stool question/supply issue

I just want to hop in a give you a big fat and and congrats on your newest babe!

Glad you're here - hope you find this board to be even half as helpful as I have I hope someone can come along and assit you... I would say right off it does sound like babe needs to nurse more often if the stools are still tinged at all and as far as supply - I would say it can take weeks to get it settled in! but it gets easier ever day that passes. It seems you are determined and you can do it

Do you have an IBCLC near you or a LLL nearby for some hands on help? ?
    Last edited by Number3; February 16th, 2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

How often are you nursing?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    How often are you nursing?
    I am nursing every 2-3 hours(or less) and we have at least one cluster feed a day.

To get enough milk I highly recommend boosting the amount of nursing to every hour and a half to two hours. No more than two hours between a finish and a start. At least during daytime ok?
    If you can also start pumping at the end of some of your feedings you will increase your supply even more. Ten minutes of pumping would be great.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 16th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Finishing the first side before switching would also be helpful with getting the hindmilk. Instead of timing and then switching, leave her on the first breast until she comes off on her own or falls asleep (and really slows down with her sucking.) Then, you can switch and offer the other side (but it's okay if she doesn't take it.) At this point, your supply is largely hormonally driven, so I wouldn't think it would take long for it to catch up. It's good that you're seeking help now--establishing a good milk supply now will be important down the road.