Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about nursing baby with cold

Question Question about nursing baby with cold

My dd is on her 4th round of antibiotics since she was born and she is only 3.5 months old. This time she has fluid in her ear and a touch of bronchitis. I have done my best to keep her healthy but with 7 brothers and sisters and half of them coming and going to school, it is nearly impossible to keep all germs out of the house.

I had been giving her acidophilus for her icky poops assuming that all of the meds were definitely contributing to the problem. They started to look like they were returning to normal and then she got sick again. But this time it started with incredible gas and rumbling in her tummy. Diarrhea returned and her appetite has nearly disappeared. Absolutely nothing changed in my diet. I eat rice, turkey, carrots, and pears. I have been wanting to add one thing at a time but each time I get ready to, her poops turn icky and she ends up with a cold. Anyhow, I know it is not from something I ate.

I have noticd that she is more congested in her nose this time. Can drainage from her nose cause an upset stomach? This started before we started meds this time so I know they were not the initial cause. I am hoping it is something as simple as her cold and it will get better. If not, I do not know what to do or where to go from here. I cannot cut anything else from my diet. I already do block feeding which has cured the green bloody poops. I am starting to get very frustrated that I just can't seem to bf'd my babies.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Question about nursing baby with cold

Oh, Mamabear, you really have had a tough time, haven't you? I remember a few weeks ago you had a nasty stomach bug going through the family. I'm sorry she's been sick so frequently. Keep nursing frequently, and hopefully she will soon recover and stay healthy.

Yes, mucus from nasal congestion can definitely upset a tummy and alter the poops. The acidophilus is a good thing to be doing; I would keep that up even when the antibiotics are finished. My 4yo takes one dose every day.

I remember the big problems you were having with oversupply -- and was so impressed at how you worked through that and managed it so successfully with block feeding.

Can you remind me why you are doing an elimination diet? Rice, turkey, carrots, and pears must have gotten awfully dull already!

--Rebecca

Well, from what you describe, this doesn't sound like a breastfeeding issue at all. If anything, breastfeeding her is keeping her less sick than she'd otherwise be.

That said, green poop can be normal. But your baby has been on lots of antibiotics so that in and of itself can cause green poop as can a virus. I do think that the drainage from her nose can cause gastric upset -- at least it does in me! LOL The gas & rumbling in her tummy -- is it upsetting to her or just to you?

For her runny nose, have you tried breastmilk up the nose followed by nasal aspiration? This might help her for an hour or so at a time.

I hope she starts to feel better soon. Try not to be so hard on yourself -- breastmilk is usually the very last thing that would ever upset a baby's tummy You are doing a great job!

Thank you. Rebecca, I am doing the elimination diet out of desperation if nothing else. Having been down this road with 7 other babies, I was always told it was allergies. My diet wasn't so bland when she was born but once all of the problems started I cut down to those four things. I felt I needed to cover all bases. Now that I know so much about block feeding, I am not so sure of the allergy part of the previous diagnoses. I just want this to work. Like I said, my plan is to add one thing at a time and get back to a normal diet (I'll keep dairy out anyway) but it has been one thing after another and I can't seem to get her to a place where she isn't having issues with her stomach. I hope that makes sense.

Carol, as soon as the rumbling starts, she stops eating. You can also hear it from across the room when she is not eating. Occasionally she will wake up crying from it but not very often. So, I would say it is probably upsetting me more but that is because I realize she's not eating very much. I haven't tried the breastmilk in her nose. Just saline once or twice a day. Her nose isn't runny but I can hear it all in there.

Thank you both for your responses. I am so ready to put a plastic bubble over my house. Hpefully she will get a good break from the germs once school is out and the kids aren't "sharing" so much with their friends.

Have you checked in to a yeast issue? not thrush, but actual yeast overgrowth in the gut? This can often lead to excessive gas, etc and is caused by rounds of antibiotics and then sugar (in breast milk, foods, etc) feeing the yeast so it becomes more and more of a problem. Yeast overgrowth both in you and baby can also cause problems with food allergies or sensitivities. just a thought but we saw a lot of that at the doctor's office that I used to work for.