Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I wean a reverse cycle feeder out of my bed?

Question How can I wean a reverse cycle feeder out of my bed?

My son is 9 1/2 months old and I'm planning on weaning him after he turns 1 and I'm comfortable that he's transitioned to cow's milk well (I've got a milk allergy, so I'm not sure if he'll have issues, too). I work a demanding, stressful management job, so continuing past 1 year will be quite difficult for me (I pump at the office at least 3 times a day, depending on my milk supply). My baby's very healthy and has never had an ounce of formula, so I'm comfortable with my plan.

Anyway, he is a reverse cycle feeder. He normally only drinks about 8 oz of milk while I'm in the office (I pump around 11-14 oz during the day). At night, he sleeps in our bed and nurses about six times during the night. He has only slept in his crib once. During the day, his nanny is having difficulty putting him down for his naps, so he sleeps in her arms (I've already mentioned to her that this is a problem, but I am having a hard time giving her advice on how to fix).

My baby goes to sleep as I nurse him in bed after work around 7PM. After that, I feel quite trapped because I am afraid that he will fall out of my bed or will get smothered by pillows if I leave him. Here are my questions:

1) Do you have any tips on how I can get him to take his naps in his pack and play or crib during the day?
    2) Do you have any tips on how I can get him to sleep in his crib from about 7PM to 10PM while I'm still continuing to nurse him?
    3) Do you have any tips on how I can night wean him and get him used to sleeping in his own crib at night?

I am months away from the whole weaning thing, but I would like to plan ahead. Given that he's so used to being in our bed, I think I definitely have to do this gradually.

Any advice or tips are most welcome. Thank you!

Default Re: How can I wean a reverse cycle feeder out of my bed?

I believe it would be best for you to start working on this asap, because it sounds as if your son is firmly entrenched in nursing for sleep and for feeding. I would recommend that you read Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. At this age your nanny can do a number of things at the nap time to get him used to the crib. Easiest is just to spend time in his room and have him play in his crib so he does not see it as a "bad" place. Perhaps at nap time she could stroll him until he falls asleep then transition him to the crib. He would hopefully open his eyes a bit and be aware of the transition but not come fully awake. I used this quite successfully and then started putting dd down in her crib after nursing in chair. She would cry but I would sit next to the crib in a chair and smile and tell her it was ok. Don't frown or seem concerned, let him see that all is ok. For the night time, read the book's advice on the "Pantley Pull-Off" and realize that this is the most important technique in the book and it is ok to be a bit aggressive about it so baby gets used to stopping nursing and then sleeping. Another idea is to nurse him in a chair next to the bed, then lie down in bed with him and tell him stories in a low, slow voice until he conks out. This worked great with my dd. Realize that right now he is at an age where it may seem difficult to you to change his routine, but it is actually not. The older he gets, the harder it is to change the routines. He is nursing all night because he is waiting all day for you to come home. I would have nanny really work on encouraging the milk and other foods during the day so he will not depend on the nursing so much. Good Luck!

Smile Re: How can I wean a reverse cycle feeder out of my bed?

Hi Kathleen,
    Thanks a bunch for your feedback. I'll definitely get a hold of that book. Take care!