Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples & non-nutritive sucking

Default sore nipples & non-nutritive sucking

Hi everyone-- so glad the website now has a forum to post questions! My son is a little over 2 months old, and we've had lots of ups and downs with breastfeeding but we're hanging in there. Two questions:
    1) My latest issue has to do with my right nipple tip turning white after feeding. It's INCREDIBLY painful-- it looks like all blood has left the area-- I try to soothe it with hot compresses to bring the blood back-- but it's just a temporary fix. Has anyone had any experiences with this? The white area seems to be increasing with every feeding...I've also noticed the blood loss and resulting white color happening *slightly* on the left nipple tip, but it's not painful there. Latch-on is painful on the right breast only... then during nursing the pain fades... only to reappear after the feeding. In addition, I've noticed that my son compresses the shape of both nipple tips while sucking.
    2) My son seems to be a very slow feeder-- with not a huge amount of productive sucking during each session (maybe 3-5 mins. tops). Then the sucking becomes non-productive (I call this "nibbling"!), with very occasional swallowing. Any hints to encourage more active sucking? Pedi says he's doing fine with weight gain...but I want to make sure he's getting everything he can, and I also want to keep my supply strong.
    Any advice appreciated!! Thanks so much!

Default Re: sore nipples & non-nutritive sucking

Jack Newman has a book that addresses all of these problems. It's called the Ultimate breastfeeding Book of Answers. But there is also a website where you can get info about most of the issues. The nipple turning white may be vasospasm- where the blood leaves and then it hurts as the blood comes back. Basically, he suggests heat or a medication. Here's a link to a webpage
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/bflinks.shtml
    You have to scroll down on the page. I kept trying to just click on the link.

I thought I had the same problem but mine ended up being thrush instead, so it may be worth it to have a lactation consultant or Doc look at it. He also talks about using breast compression to help the baby take more milk quicker if you're having pain and need to get the feeding over with earlier. I think that info should be on the website too. But if not, try the book. Take a look at the website's section on getting a good latch. That might help with the nipple compression

Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam'sMom
    2) My son seems to be a very slow feeder-- with not a huge amount of productive sucking during each session (maybe 3-5 mins. tops). Then the sucking becomes non-productive (I call this "nibbling"!), with very occasional swallowing. Any hints to encourage more active sucking? Pedi says he's doing fine with weight gain...but I want to make sure he's getting everything he can, and I also want to keep my supply strong.
    Any advice appreciated!! Thanks so much!
    My daughter was the queen of non-nutritive sucking! One thing that helped was to gently "rub" under her chin in a back to front motion in order to keep her tongue forward and to keep her a little more awake. Does that make sense? Also lots and lots of skin to skin contact. Is she falling asleep while nursing after 3-5 minutes? Because there a lots of things to try if that's the case! Good luck!

Joyfulmama, I tried the chin rub during our last feeding and it did work a bit! Milkfacesmom, thanks for the link, I'll check it out -- thanks so much to you both-- we'll get through this yet