Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottle feeding issues

Default bottle feeding issues

my son was 4 wks early and weighed 4lbs 4 oz, and while in nicu, he was given formula with enfamil disposable nipples.
    Since then at home, I am pumping and to feed the breastmilk, we have tried medela orthodontic, playtex, avent 1 & 2 nipples, but he dribbles a lot. He is 4wks old, and lately even the enfamil nipple is not working. seems to me for every drop he is taking in, he dribbles one. He sucks a lot, and while swallowing, a huge amount comes out. I have tried lying him flat, holding him straight, holding him slanted but same effect. I tilt the bottle away after few sucks to reduce flow, but worried this will cause gas. And he is also agitated in the process

Any advice please?

thanks
    padma
    Last edited by plalwani; February 16th, 2007 at 10:16 AM.

Default Re: bottle feeding issues

Have you tried the Soothie bottles? We had the same problem with all other bottles until we tried the Soothie ones, our son loved his soothie binky from the NICU and I think that's why it worked better for him. We still sometimes use the Avent bottles but he ends up with milk all over his face and chest when we do.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Thanks, I will get them from Target and try them today

Padma

No problem! Hope they work for you!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Some babies definitely are messier eaters than others.

Here's another idea....if you use the Playtex disposables or the Avent disposable system (the ones with the collapsible liners), you could actually feed completely upright with a little practice, and your LO will suck the milk right out of the bottle. Not sure if it'll work like I envision it, but I know that we switched to the Avent disposable system when our twins were 3 mos old, and they never tipped their bottles up, so milk didn't get all over.

I'm not sure if I'm describing well enough what I mean, so I hope you can understand what I'm getting at. It's certainly worth a shot if you continue to have problems.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa,

I will try the Playtex disposable one too tonight

Padma