Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions on bottle feeding

Default questions on bottle feeding

When I give my LO EBM, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to give him the bottle properly.

If I stop every one to two ounces to burp him, he loses interest and it's hard to get him to finish the rest of the bottle. I hate to waste breast milk.

If I let him drink almost the entire bottle, he will spit up big time.

What should I do? How do you give your LO the bottle? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: questions on bottle feeding

I burp my son after every 2 ounces, but I can't say I have much problems getting him to retake the bottle, as he's a little piggy and loves food (just like his mama i'm guessing). Try dripping some milk out of the nipple onto his lips to get him to re-take it?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by MeganBeth View Post
    I burp my son after every 2 ounces, but I can't say I have much problems getting him to retake the bottle, as he's a little piggy and loves food (just like his mama i'm guessing). Try dripping some milk out of the nipple onto his lips to get him to re-take it?
    will try, thanks!

you could make smaller bottles just in case - say 3-4oz. that way if he doesn't take the rest, you don't lose as much. you can always make another if he wants more.
    also some babies spitup from overfeeding. dont know if that helps...
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Quote Originally Posted by mooose5 View Post
    you could make smaller bottles just in case - say 3-4oz. that way if he doesn't take the rest, you don't lose as much. you can always make another if he wants more.
    also some babies spitup from overfeeding. dont know if that helps...
    I think you're right on the overfeeding part. Sometimes when he is really done with the bottle I try to get him to finish it and he just clamps down his mouth, telling me he wants no more.

Quote Originally Posted by ielarran View Post
    I think you're right on the overfeeding part. Sometimes when he is really done with the bottle I try to get him to finish it and he just clamps down his mouth, telling me he wants no more.
    I think this is an important cue from your DS. If he wants no more, don't worry. He'll let you know when he's hungry! I echo the PP's.....I'd make smaller bottles until you all get the hang of it.

Lisa