Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Question

Default Supply Question

Hello, My DS is 17 months old and preverbal. We do Baby Signs to communicate. In the last 2 weeks or so he will sign "milk" "more milk" while nursing, sometimes crying. He is taking both sides which he has not done in months. I offer both then the first again. Now in the last 2 days he is nursing for a much shorter periods of time. I thought I might be preg but the test says no. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Supply Question

Any other changes going on? Changes in schedule/routine, recent illness, medications? Maybe he's trying to boost your supply for a growth spurt?
    Mary

It's interesting that you ask this. I had thought recently that my 16 month old was signing for more when we were nursing too. I've had two interpretations:

1) Yum, mommy, this is so good. You just keep more milk coming my way.

2) He's practicing his two-hand gestures. He also rubs his hands together when nursing.

I am editing my response here since I just noticed the part about your DS crying when he does this. Mine can be a bit agitated and HUNGRY when I first come home from work. He seems to just pick at his food at daycare and then need a big rush of milk when I get home.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Trisha; February 16th, 2007 at 12:51 PM.

maybe to early for a test?

Sometimes they are just funny at that age.
    IF baby cries and you pay attention to them sometimes they figure that out.
    Not that its a bad thing!