Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White nipple

Question White nipple

So I've noticed that after some of my pumping sessions, the tips of one or both of my nipples is white. I tried finding info, but I've only seen this happen in relation to BFing. Do I have my pump turned up too high or my horn too small? It's only slightly painful, but I am concerned about it.

Default Re: White nipple

I have the same issue (I think)...I talked/showed someone mine and they said it was dried milk on the end. I was told to gently rub the nipple with a washcloth in the shower, but that hurts me...I have found that after pumping...it isn't so sensitive and I use a tissue to gently rub the dried...yet moist milk away. I do pick it off a little if the tissue doesn't work well. Mine don't look as white. Don't know if it is the same thing...but maybe.

Not to overly concern you, but I'm going through this right now as a new mother and exclusively pumping...I have a yeast infection in my breast and w/ it I have noticed white skin on the tip of my nipple...the doctor says it could be the yeast...so if you have sharp shooting pain and burning you may want to call the doctor and he/she may start you on some meds, like they did me. hope this helps.

if they are white, and if you can sqeeze them to get the blood back in the tip its just "blanching". Improper latch or too much suction on pump.