Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting "good" at bfing??

Default getting "good" at bfing??

My baby is almost 4 weeks old, though she was born at 36 weeks, so she is just now at "term, and we are stll really struggling with bfing.
    i had to use a nipple shield at first, since she was early and my boobs were huge and she could not latch on.
    now she nurses really well on the left side without the shield, but we really struggle on the right side. I think that nipple is just larger snd flatter. I would really like to not use the nipple shields, but
    i hate to make her struggle to eat. Any suggestions? How long did it take for your preemie baby to get good at nursing???

Default Re: getting "good" at bfing??

Hello and welcome to the forum! My daughter was 7 weeks early and it took her 2 months to get on the breast without the shield or any bottles and another 1.5 months to get good at it. If you think that your right nipple is flat, trying pumping for a minute or two to get it out or start with the shield on and take it off and latch her back on qickly. You may also think about seeing a Lactation Consultant or a LLL Leader in your area now that your baby is term. They may be able to offer a perspective in person that we cannot here. Good Luck!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My son was born at 35 weeks and it took almost a month before he was "good" at BFing...We had to deal with jaundice, nipple confusion, diffculty latching, and he slept constantly for almost 5 weeks. I expressed some milk into a bottle and then squirted some onto my nipple before feeding him and that seemed to help alot. He would get a little taste and that would wake him up or get him interested.

During the difficult weeks my son also preferred one side and I just let him have it! I was so relived when he would eat that I didn't care which side it was coming from...After a while the preference stopped and now he's just happy to see a boob

Hang in there, it will get better

My son was born at 32 weeks and spent 23 days in the NICU. Of course he got only a bottle in the hospital and a little time at the breast. When we came home we struggled too. He only liked my left breast for a while so I gave it to him. I fed him on the side he liked and pumped the other one. Around the time when he was full term or shorlty after he started to feed a lot better and from both sides. Hes now 3 1/2 weeks corrected age and doing great. The only advice I have os keep going! It will get better. It's almost like something clicks over night. One day you'll be having issues and then the next day your LO will be going at it like a champ. No matter how it happens for you push through the hard times and it will happen. Feed him when he wants it and he'll set his own schedule eventually. Best of luck to you.

I have flat nipples and use the nipple shield once I was able to nurse her in the NICU. (She's 13 months old and still won't latch on without it, tried to wean her off of it, but everytime that started, we ended up back in the hossy for unrelated issues).
    Madeline was born at 34 weeks and it was about 2 months for us to really get it down & both of us be good at it. Just keep with it.

My baby was born at 34 weeks and is now almost 8 weeks old. I stopped using the pump at about 4 weeks and stopped using the nipple shield around 7 weeks... although now and then he'll refuse to latch on (especially on the left breast) and I'll have to use the shield or even the pump again. I hate using the shield because I feel it is counterproductive in helping him learn how to latch on... but sometimes you get stuck and there's nothing else you could do. Just be persistent and patient (and keep the nipple shield close by just in case). Although I still struggle with getting the baby to latch on and I think it'll still be a few more weeks until he's "good" at breastfeeding, it does get a little easier with each day.

Hmmm...when did we get "good" at it. At 3 and a half months I felt like it was going to be "okay." There are still parts we're not very good at, like nursing in public, but the rest of it is going fine. I think there's always something new that comes up, but, as you get more experienced, you worry less.