Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Bras...

Thumbs down Nursing Bras...

Seriously, the hardest part about BF is finding a darn bra! Pre-pregnancy I was about a 40D 42DD depending on brand. I had two bras I got toward end of PG that seemed OK, but post-delivery they suck. The front weighs so much that they pull the back up to my neck (ok, not that severe, but close!). I went to Von Maur (a dept. store) and spent $60 on a bra thinking the more $, the better quality. That bra sucks, too. It seems no matter what I do with adjusting the straps the back seems to raise up to my upper back. My next course of action is go buy some suspenders and then hook the back of the bra to my underwear to keep it in a comfortable spot.

Where has everyone who has a larger chest been able to find good bras? This will be a long 12 months if I can't find a good bra.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Nursing Bras...

This is EXACTLY what happened to me!! I was a 36-38 DD before pregnancy and when I was 9 mo. pregnant I was a 36 H when I went to get fitted at Nordstroms (a dept store here, not sure if they're nation wide or not). I spent about 60 dollars on a bra which doesn't fit as well now, but I know that they have larger sizes and spend a lot of time fitting you and making sure the bra you buy fits perfectly before they let you buy it. If you have a Nordstroms I'd suggest going there to be fitted, the bras may not be extremely cheap, but they're worth the 60 dollars if they fit in my opinion.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I found ones that I love from JCPenny. They are the Medela brand, and they are the most comfortable and supportive nursing bras I've found. I too have a large chest and had to go into these bras during my 4 month of pregnancy because regular bras no longer fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganBeth View Post
    This is EXACTLY what happened to me!! I was a 36-38 DD before pregnancy and when I was 9 mo. pregnant I was a 36 H when I went to get fitted at Nordstroms (a dept store here, not sure if they're nation wide or not). I spent about 60 dollars on a bra which doesn't fit as well now, but I know that they have larger sizes and spend a lot of time fitting you and making sure the bra you buy fits perfectly before they let you buy it. If you have a Nordstroms I'd suggest going there to be fitted, the bras may not be extremely cheap, but they're worth the 60 dollars if they fit in my opinion.
    Very true! I have been a certified bra fitter for Nordstoms for the last 4 years and let me tell you it's worth it! I was a 32G before i got pregnant and now i'm a 34H. It's hard to find small bands and large cups but if you can find a great nursing bra, it makes all the world of difference. All my bras are spendy too but i'd rather pay for a good quality bra that holds these girls up than pay for a cheap one and have saggy boobs afteri'm done nursing!!!

I bought a Bravado bra on the recommendation of somebody here and I LOVE it. They're $35 and they are carried at a number of retailers. I also used to have that problem of the back riding up and I found out that that means the cup size is too small. I was always trying to go from 36 to 38 when I needed to go from C to D.

You can check them out at bravadodesigns.com. Sorry, I can't hyperlink!

I'm currently a 36DD. I tried several nursing bras and hated them all. I found out that my favorite lingerie store does alterations of "regular" bras to turn them into nursing bras (at no extra charge!) so I got a good fitting and couple of bras that I had converted. These were not cheap bras, but well worth it to me to have good supportive comfortable bras. (And I figured I had spent more on trying bras that I hated.)

If you're handy with sewing (or know someone who is), there are instructions for converting to a nursing bra here:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)