Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber Milk Storage Bags?

Default Gerber Milk Storage Bags?

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences with the Gerber milk storage bags? Last night, I went to take some milk out of my freezer and I actually went through 2 eight ounce bags before I found a bag of milk that hadn't leaked!! I was so mad...I don't know if it's something I did wrong or if the bags are just cheap.. I usually use Lansinoh bags, but the last time I bought bags I was at the grocery store and they don't have Lansinoh..

Default Re: Gerber Milk Storage Bags?

Nope! You're not the only one! I had the same problems. Not only did they leak, but they just seemed too thin to where they would easily get little pin holes in them, even from the ice pack rubbing on it.

I prefer the Lansinoh brand baggies as well, they're a little more pricey, but I'd rather pay the extra dollar to store my milk that's like gold to me! Plus I like the double zipper and the thicker plastic.

I use the Gerber bags and I've never had this problem, but I rarely use the milk I have stored in bags... my sitter, who does use this milk, has had this problem once before... she set the bag in a bowl of warm water to thaw it out and when she came back the bag was just about empty and the milk was mixed in with the water... how frustrating!!

Yikes! Double bag what you've already pumped into those Gerber bags so you won't lose any more ebm.

Also, I would think a very stern letter to Gerber is in order. Just reading that irks me.

Yes, the same thing has happened to me too. My husband has put the baggy in a bowl of warm water and when he's come back, the water was all white from the milk leaking out of it. That's why I went to the Lansinoh brand, because of the thicker plastic (which seems like it would be better for freezing any way) AND I love the double zipper!

I've never had them leak, but I've never put them in warm water either. We did (when I worked at day care) have leakage issues with the Medela brand CFS bags leaking when we put them in warm water.

I just thaw mine then pour into the Playtex nurser liner to warm from there.

I think another reason why they get little holes in them is because of writing on them. They're a thinner plastic & you write on the front of it, where on the Lansinoh brand you write on a top tag where it's separated from the main part of the bag.

oh no! I have been freezing in the gerber bags for 3 months now (about 100-150 bags!)... I haven't thawed them yet.... so I haven't had any problems. I did have a zipper or 2 break while i was sealing... that should have clued me in. I just started using the Lansinoh bags... and they seem to be better quality... I think I will buy those from now on. They are the same price too!

I have had that happen, but only to 2 bags. I dropped a few of the frozen bags out of the freezer while putting away groceries, so I think the fall caused little tears in the corners of 2 of them.

I've used both the Lansinoh and Gerber bags and have just had one of each tear. I've noticed that the Lansinoh bags seem to get almost brittle once frozen, I'm assuming because the plastic is a little different (not sure). Either that or it may be because I'm storing them in a deep freeze which stays a bit colder than a regular top mount freezer. I've recently been freezing the bags flat and then putting five or so in another ziplock freezer bag to try to double protect them, that seems to be working well.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)